VMware Communities
salamandrotie
Contributor
Contributor

Starting virtual machine from network

Hello,

I currently own a DELL T310 at home with ESX 5.5 installed on it.

I'm running IPCOP and Windows Server 2012 on it. Windows Server 2012 is the DHCP, DNS and file server on my home network.

My DELL T310 have two nic embedded and one more nic (PCI-e) connected to a D-LINK DES 3326S (100mbs).

I have 3 three computers and my girlfriend one, all running Windows 7 64b. These stations are connected trough wifi for the laptop and with wired connection (1Gpbs) to my internet router (all in one box from my ISP).

I'm running VMware Workstation on two station, each has it own local folder with the VM inside it.

I would like to know if i can create a share dedicated to the VM on my 2012 server and mount the share on each station for starting the machine trough instead of using a heavy local storage on each station ... I'm not talking about PXE, i just want to know if i can launch the machine in workstation from a shared folder ....

If it's working, since i have only a 100mps compatible switch, should i consider to migrate to a Gbps switch for the server ? I was thinking of the traffic caused by working on my VM in File server. Maybe it will overload the 100mbps connection ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

0 Kudos
0 Replies