VMware Communities
SpelingMistakes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Starting guest trough command prompt under windows

I have question about vmware

How to start already installed guest from batch file or command file – I am running a server on it, and I want if possible when something unpredictable happens that my vmware machine starts automatically.

This is explanation if I didn’t succeed to explain well what I want.

Electricity goes off (my UPS after a while become empty and my host goes off) and when electricity come again, my PC will bring with my host which is XP Pro. I want also to make my vmware guest also starts. I have program for making processes on Windows machine (Always Up) – its works good. I try to find in help commands for powering up guest – I didn’t succeed – I try to search trough forum – I also didn’t find that what I have search for.

I will like to know exact command under windows (command prompt) – I know to create batch file (long time ago) – but I didn’t have success to guess any commands – I hope so something like that exists. I will try to implement that into solutions of my problem.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you put a shortcut to the guest's vmx file in your startup folder, Workstation will automatically load that guest. You will need to edit the setting to automatically power on the guest when opening it.

Or, you can use the command line vmrun command.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you put a shortcut to the guest's vmx file in your startup folder, Workstation will automatically load that guest. You will need to edit the setting to automatically power on the guest when opening it.

Or, you can use the command line vmrun command.

0 Kudos
SpelingMistakes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the case if I have several those guest and I want all start same or in some order??

Now if I start second of those guests I get new vmware window – which is ….. hmm strange – I don’t know will that have some influence and issue in case of memory.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It sounds as if the VMware Server product would better suit your needs. Server is designed to have guests run as services, automatically start (and specify the order), etc.

0 Kudos