VMware Communities
dschlic1
Contributor
Contributor

Starting a VM changes video color balance

I have a Dell M6700 notebook computer on which I have installed VMware Workstation 9. I have as my host OS Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. The various guest OS are Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. I have installed on the host OS a minimum of software, main Microsoft Office. All of the other software packages (of which there are many) are installed on various virtual machines. I do this to eliminate interactions between the many and varied software packages I have to use on a day to day basis.

Several weeks ago I took this computer home to perform some video calibrations on my home theater system. During that calibration I noticed that the video output from the computer had very high blue levels. At first I thought that this was a setup issue in Windows and I opened a support case with Dell. After running several tests, Dell decided that the video card was bad. They replaced it along with the main board and several other items. However this did not cure the issue. I performed several other tests and I determined that after rebooting the computer I had normal video levels. However if I started a virtual machine, then the video from both the host and guest systems had the high blue levels. This condition remains even after shutting down all virtual machines.

I have attached two graphs showing the video output before running a VM and the video after running a VM.

Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this? Is this a bug in Workstation?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Possibly related: Color depth?

See this link:

VMware Workstation Documentation Center

0 Kudos