VMware Communities
OzQuackyDuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Speed up deleting snapshots - VWware Workstation Pro

I would like speed up the process of deleting my snapshots

Example 1) A VM has for 5 snapshots, each one of a similar size.

If I want to delete all snapshots except for the last one - would it be faster to delete them in order 1,2,3,4 or 4,3,2,1 ?

Example 2) A VM has three snapshot - a large one, a small one then a large one.
I want to delete the first two snapshots
Should I delete the first large snapshot first, then delete the second small one
or ... the reverse of this so I delete the second small snapshot first followed by deleting the first large snapshot

Are there any ways to make deleting snapshots faster apart from making them smaller ?

My environment is VMWare Server Pro 15 and I plan to upgrade soon 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The answer to both questions is the same. Always delete the oldest snapshot first.
Reason: Modified data blocks from a snapshot file will be merged into its direct parent file.

Deleting a newer snapshot first, will merge its data into its parent, and therefore require the same data to be merged again into that snapshot's parent. As you can see, this will not only increase the time required to delete the snapshots, but may also require additional temporary disk space on the host.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The answer to both questions is the same. Always delete the oldest snapshot first.
Reason: Modified data blocks from a snapshot file will be merged into its direct parent file.

Deleting a newer snapshot first, will merge its data into its parent, and therefore require the same data to be merged again into that snapshot's parent. As you can see, this will not only increase the time required to delete the snapshots, but may also require additional temporary disk space on the host.

André

0 Kudos
OzQuackyDuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That makes sense.

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos