VMware Communities
cyberzork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Space missing from my virtual Hard Disk

I have a WinXP virtual machine (Vista Host). Both VMWare and WinXP correctly report the size of my disk as 10GB. However, WinXP reports my disk as being 40% full (4GB) when I only have 2.5GB on it. Except for the OS itself, I have very little installed on this virtual machine, therefore 2.5GB should be correct. Whatever happened to the missing 1.5GB? I tried running chkdsk etc, but no success.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have you viewed the hidden files? By default, the recycle bin is assigned 10% of your disk size; Internet Explorer cache is assigned way more disk space than it needs; System Restore is assigned 10% (I think)...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
cyberzork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just realised that I posted my question in the wrong forum. I hope an administrator can move it to the proper place.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

We can move it...but we need to know what product you are using so we can move it to the correct place Smiley Happy

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have you viewed the hidden files? By default, the recycle bin is assigned 10% of your disk size; Internet Explorer cache is assigned way more disk space than it needs; System Restore is assigned 10% (I think)...

0 Kudos
cyberzork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using VMWare Workstation 6.0

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Moved to Workstation forum.

Again, have you accounted for all of the hidden, system files?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It would be best to post the list of files in the virtual machine directory and include the file sizes.

Select "VM" -> "Settings" and click on the virtual Hard Disk.

What is reported under "Capacity" for "Current size" and "Maximum size" ?

What is report under "Disk Information" ?

Post the .vmx file from the virtual machine

0 Kudos
cyberzork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turning System Restore off (it was set to 12%) and back on to 2% gave me back the missing space. I also changed the Recycle Bin to 1%. Thanks to RDPetruska!

0 Kudos