VMware Communities
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

Sound on vmware Workstation 10 not working.

Just bought a new computer last week, it's an Asus V-Series computer.

Here are the specs

CPU:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz Dual-Core

Graphics:

Intel(R) HD Graphics

Audio:

Intel(R) Display Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

I installed VMware workstation 9 (which came with VMware Player 5). I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 and when I boot it, vmware gives me this message

"A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system. Sound will be disconnected.". I tried donwloading some more Linux distros (like Fedora and Sabayon) and they still give me the same message. I installed tools in the guest and still I get the message. The guest works very fast and graphics are fast too but I can't get the sound to work. I tried using Player too but I still get the Error. Is there anyway how I can fix this please?

20 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community.

please take a look at Re:  The default sound device cannot be opened: A device ID has been used  that is out of range for ... to see whether the solution in this discussion helps solving your issue too.

André

0 Kudos
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing worked

0 Kudos
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I tried windows 8 preview and thes sound worked, but the sound on linux still doesn't work. So Please does anyone have a solution

0 Kudos
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

Please help ;_;

0 Kudos
quarters
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get it working after making a change RealTek Audio Manager.

Change 'Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device.' to 'Separate all input jacks as independent input devices.'

View screenshot.

Hopefully it works for you as well.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

i tought that last version of vmware workstation was version 9? is that right?

0 Kudos
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried it. Still getting error.

0 Kudos
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

My bad I meant 9 not 10

0 Kudos
MoghzaTaVera
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you confirm the sound profile is set to "Analog Stereo Output" and the VM has been rebooted after changing this setting?

Ubuntu-Sound-Preferences.jpg

André

0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've given up trying to get sound working with Ubtuntu guests. It's just not happening.

---------------------------

Ubuntu12_04_01 - VMware Workstation

The default sound device cannot be opened:

A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system.

Failed to connect virtual device sound.

OK  

I also have a mobo with Realtek Audio (ASUSP9X79).

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Despite my claim of having given up I had the random idea of plugging in my USB headset and I got sound through my headphones.

Then after this I tried re-enabling the sound card on my Ubuntu VM and doing a test and now the speakers work! What the?

After a bit more playing around I have found that if I plug in my Logitech USB headset and connect it to the host then I can get sound (from the Ubuntu guest) through my headset. If I then un-plug my USB headset from my host (Win7 x64) the Ubuntu sound will work through my speakers! This, however, does not survive even a suspend/resume cycle.

So the steps to get sound are...

1. Start Ubuntu VM (get message in the message log "A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system. Sound will be disconnected.").

2. Login to Ubuntu guest.

3. Connect USB headset to host (use Workstation to connect back to host if initially captured by a running VM).

4. Connect Sound card to Ubuntu VM (via settings).

5. Sound now works for the Ubuntu guest through the headset (test by opening the sound settings dialog in Ubuntu).

6. Now leaving the sound settings dialog open (important), un-plug the headset from the host. Sound now works properly for the Ubuntu guest (i.e., through speakers). If you close the sound settings dialog before un-plugging the headset, it won't work.

If I can figure out how to make this persist I will update my post, but I have a feeling all it will be is a goofy work around, but a work around none the less.

Maybe this set of steps give those who know Ubuntu and Workstation better than myself, some insight into what is really going on here and why keeping that Sound settings dialog open makes all the difference. :smileyconfused:

Dumby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi 0WayneH0,

Please read and try this : Re: Sound on vmware Workstation 10 not working.

This worked for me for any Ubuntu guest, from 10.04 up to the last 13.04.

Hope this helps.

PS: Please change the title of your first post saying WS 10 since it's WS 9 and it's confusing. Thanx.

Prior to send the arrow of thruth, plunge the head in the honey pot.
0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

I have a training until Thursday, leave me a message i will reply as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Dumby,

That link you provided is to this thread. Did you mean to reference a different thread? (Either way I read quite a few and none had the solution to my issue...)

Also since I am not the OP I do not believe that I can change the title of the post. I agree that it is confusing,

Wayne.

0 Kudos
Dumby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I Wayne

Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with this site and I think I made a bad Copy/Paste.

Here is the right link: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2227565#2227565

If this doesn't work, here is the link to the entiere post: The default sound device cannot be opened: A device ID has been used that is out of range for your s...

And if this doesn't work either, here is the solution:

-----------------------

To get the sound going in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, you need to first install "pavucontrol"

You can do so by typing the following in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

After you have installed pavucontrol you can run it by typing the following in the terminal:

pavucontrol

Go to the configuration tab, select Analog Stereo Output

And you should be good to go

-----------------------

Hope this helps since it worked for me with a similar situation than yours (Host: W7-64, Guests: All Ubuntu from 10.04 up to 13.04, both in 32 and 64 bit flavors).Smiley Wink

BTW, this is an over 2 year old bug and I don't understand why VMware doesn't fix it. :smileyangry::smileyminus::smileyalert:

Cheers.

Dumby.

Prior to send the arrow of thruth, plunge the head in the honey pot.
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Dumby,

I tried out this and it seemed to work, but I also noticed that if I opened up the in-built sound settings dialog (or just restart Ubuntu) that the sound device still disconnects.

I have now found out through further experimentation that the main issue is that the in-built sound settings dialog, for whatever reason, causes the sound to disconnect (and I was using the sound test in that dialog to test the sound, rather than just trying to play a song or something else!). So if I don't open that dialog the sound seems to stay connected. It's true though, that using pavucontrol in lieu of the in-built sound settings seems to work OK.

What I have done for the moment is remove pavucontrol and just plan to avoid opening the Ubuntu sound settings dialog. I guess if I need to edit the settings I could always re-install pavucontrol.

I'll try to find a way of having the sound connect automatically (e.g., after login), but using the following command... (found in another related thread)

vmware-toolbox-cmd device enable sound

...doesn't seem to work. In fact I can list devices and there appears to be none. I'm not sure if this is command is legacy or what since I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux.

So for now it's a manual sound reconnect (using Workstation VM settings), which for the amount of times I need to use Ubuntu will probably be OK for me. I can imagine this would be a pain for others though.

Cheers,

Wayne.

0 Kudos
novafluxx
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem as 0WayneH0. With my USB headset unplugged, all my sound works fine in Window 8.1 (host), but my Ubuntu VM's (13.10 & 14.04) give me that same error.

0WayneH0     

0 Kudos
Kittani
Contributor
Contributor

I signed in to post the solution I found that was easier after about 3 days of hunting and experimenting.  My motherboard has the Realtek HD audio on it.  When I changed it to AC97 audio on the motherboard and on the Realtek audio controller in the Driver app from Realtek all the audio started working in my Ubuntu 14 VMPlayer without issues or tweaking.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos