VMware Communities
70tas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sound disconnecting in Linux and Windows guests in Win7x64 host

I am using a Dell OptiPlex 790 with onboard audio.

Periodically on a Windows guest, or everytime I try to use audio on Linux guests, I get the "Error opening Sound Device 0:".  "A device ID has been used that is out of the range of your system.  Sound will start disconnected."

(I do not have a RealTek panel).

On the host Win7x64:

I downloaded and installed the Dell sound driver (Realtek/ATI?).

I disabled the ATI High definition audio device in the host, and enabled exclusive playback.  I also disabled both Microphones in Sounds.

That took care of the Windows guest issue, and my Win7x64 guest can now play audio without disconnecting.

However, the above did not fix the same issue on Linux.

In Linux I went in to my Gnome settings, under Sound, and disabled the microphones, closed the Gnome Sound settings window and re-connected the Sound device to the Default Sound in the VM host.  That will allow me to hear the system chirp in Linux.  However, everytime I try to open the Gnome Sound settings app, or say a sound app like Audacity, the sound disconnects with the original error.

There must be a solution out there.  Surely, after all of these years people are reporting these problems, some must have found an answer?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
70tas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally found the answer to my problem.  I uninstalled the Realtek software, and disabled all existing sound input and output devices.  Then I rebooted, and connected via USB a SoundBlaster X-fi Go!Pro sound adapter.  Installed the software on my host, rebooted it, then reset all VM guests to the default sound device.  Now all my guests, whether Windows or Unix play sound.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
70tas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally found the answer to my problem.  I uninstalled the Realtek software, and disabled all existing sound input and output devices.  Then I rebooted, and connected via USB a SoundBlaster X-fi Go!Pro sound adapter.  Installed the software on my host, rebooted it, then reset all VM guests to the default sound device.  Now all my guests, whether Windows or Unix play sound.

0 Kudos