VMware Communities
N4zroth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Some internet applications work, some don't

Hey, i have searched for about half an hour all through the internet and haven't found any problem that matches mine exactly.

As soon as I install VMware Workstation 6.0.1, my internet browser (Opera) does not work anymore. My downloader (OrbitDownloader) continues to download, as well as my XFire, Skype and ICQ, which stay online. But as soon as i restart my computer, ICQ does not connnect anymore, Orbit does not get any connection and Opera also refuses to load any page. But XFire and Skype are able to connect, and I can chat there without any problem. Disabling the bridges didn't solve my problem, deinstalling them neither. Everything comes back online as soon as I press the deinstall-button of VMware, but when i then interrupt the deinstallation process, the problem mentioned before occurs again. The only solution was to uninstall VMware, then everything works fine again. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 Bit. Sry if this problem has been already solved somewhere, then I am 2 silly 2 find it^^.

Thx and greetz

(sry for my English^^)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you using any third-party software firewalls or VPN clients?

Try running this from a CMD prompt with VMware installed.

ipconfig /all >WithVMware.txt

route print >>WithVMware.txt

netstat -ano >>WithVMware.txt

and this without VMware.

ipconfig /all >NoVMware.txt

route print >>NoVMware.txt

netstat -ano >>NoVMware.txt

Post, or attach, the results, please.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you using any third-party software firewalls or VPN clients?

Try running this from a CMD prompt with VMware installed.

ipconfig /all >WithVMware.txt

route print >>WithVMware.txt

netstat -ano >>WithVMware.txt

and this without VMware.

ipconfig /all >NoVMware.txt

route print >>NoVMware.txt

netstat -ano >>NoVMware.txt

Post, or attach, the results, please.

0 Kudos
N4zroth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey, thx for your help.

Yes, I am running the firewall from GDATA AntiVirenKit 2008. Disabling it didn't solve the problem, though -.-

The files you want are attached, thx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey, thx for your help.

Yes, I am running the firewall from GDATA AntiVirenKit 2008. Disabling it didn't solve the problem, though -.-

The files you want are attached, thx Smiley Happy

Thank you for the logs. They are difficult for me to read, but still, nothing jumps out as being the problem.

I'm also having a hard time finding old vmware usenet postings where a software firewall or vpn would cause problems. However, it has been my experience that these types of problems are usually caused by Internet security suites. Over a dozen times friends and colleagues have asked me about problems where Program A and B, can get to the Internet but C and D can not. In all cases a product such as Symantec or McAfee were somehow disabling access. If it is too time consuming to uninstall the GDATA software, then just try disabling the VMware NAT and Host-Only adapters.Also try 'unchecking' the 'Vmware Bridge Protocol' box in the regular network card.

N4zroth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmh i already tried disabling them, but i will test it again properly. As i will format my PC in about half a week, i may then try it without the Internet-Security-Suite Smiley Happy

Sry for having the Logs in German :(^^

And thx for your help, i will try it later Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
N4zroth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't exactly know what caused the change, but i uninstalled everything including Vista, then installed Vista and the Workstation and then the same Firewall. Everything works fine now, thx for your help.

Greetings

0 Kudos