VMware Communities
reederrabbit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[Solved]Booting Physical Linux Install via VMware Workstation on Win10

Hi all,

I have 3 nvmes on my laptop Windows on 1(ntfs), Mint (ubuntu Linux btrfs), on the 2nd, and the third is storage overflow(refs for now). Just recently have installed Mint and would like to be able to boot into Linux from Windows 10 running VMware Workstation.

I'm using the following guide (https://foivos.zakkak.net/tutorials/booting_raw_partition_in_vmware/) but am having trouble understanding what to do with the fstab mentioned here:

"Note however that it is highly expected to fail once more. This is most probably caused by your /etc/fstab of the guest OS. In my case, Ubuntu were trying to mount the EFI and swap partition, without success, resulting in a boot failure. To resolve this issue I booted natively in Ubuntu and commented out the corresponding lines in /etc/fstab (you should better use a live usb for this, though so that you can easily revert changes, especially when not 100% sure about what you are doing)."

Any help is greatly appreciated from a frustrated newbie.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
reederrabbit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please close thread the issue has been solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi
reading what other folks report about their special issues with their specific fstab-files does not really help.
Describe YOUR OWN ENVIRONMENT please ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
reederrabbit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My apologies, just getting into Linux and learning my way around. I will boot into it and try to get a copy of the fstab file to upload after a work project is done in Windows. For now, here is a screenshot of diskmgmt from Win10.

Disk0-Windows 10 NVME with  C:/ (win install) and E 😕  (home dir)

Disk 1-Mint Linux NVME 

Disk2-Work storage K:/

I'm adding disk1 to my VM using the entire drive (have also tried just the root and home directories by using the select partition option)

0 Kudos
reederrabbit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please close thread the issue has been solved.

0 Kudos