VMware Communities
cmiller15
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshots won't "clean up"...

I am a Workstation v5 owner/user. I have downloaded and am testing the v6.5.1 demo before I pay to upgrade. I hadn't really seen a reason to upgrade until the most recent version. I really like the new features.

I have searched for and read about snapshop issues all over this forum and Google for a couple weeks but have found nothing exactly like I'm experiencing, or a real fix.

I have PLENTY of hard drive space, 100+gb free. I create one, and ONLY one snapshot at a time. When I shut a VM down and try to immediately do a snapshot delete/cleanup, most of the time it fails and tells me the disk needs repaired. I have tried all of the usual fixes, creating another snapshot and deleting it to initiate another cleanup. Those just fail as well, leaving me with a lot of unneeded files in the directory. I also checked all the parent ID's to make sure they were in line, and they were, even when failed.

The ONLY way I have been able to increase reliability of cleaning up snapshots is to first shutdown all VM's, exit Workstation, reopen, and then cleanup the snapshots. Is this how it's supposed to be? A lot of times, I have 3 or 4 VM's up doing things that I really can't stop to shutdown just to cleanup a snapshot. If that's how it's supposed to be done, then so be it, just seems odd. I never have to do that in v5 that I can remember, it always just worked.

Before I purchase the v6 uprade, I wante to be certain there isn't a bigger problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Try

vmware-vdiskmanager -R path-to-problem.vmdk

maybe there really is an issue with a corrupt vmdk.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
cmiller15
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried that as well, but according to what I've read and my failed attempts to get it to work, as of v6.5.1, the vmware-vdiskmanager no longer has the -R function. It was removed.

Whether that should work or not really doesn't explain why every single time I cleanup snapshots it fails. If I have 1 out of 100 cleanups fail, I could accept that it was some type of corruption, but this happens nearly every time. And this isn't just on 1 drive, which could be linked to failing hardware. This is on 4 or 5 different hard drives, all independent of each other, and it happens on each one. I have even tried on different machines.

There are enough people complaining about this, and with what I have experience, that I refuse to believe it's a "corrupt disk". Maybe something is corrupting it, but nothing that is inherent in the operation of the operating system itself. This is a bug or something happening in VMWare itself.

Again, if I stop all VM's, and then close out of VMWare, and then reopen, the snapshot cleanup process seems to be much more dependable.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>the vmware-vdiskmanager no longer has the -R function.

Nope 6.5.0 was the first time it was added so ut is still there

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos