VMware Communities
cuetipper
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot usage diliema

I just upgraded to workstatio. I have need of testing alot of software and the snapshot feature should really help alot. That is if I can figure it out.

I installed an OS. Immediatetly after I created three snapshots. In the last one I installed and tested  some software. When i was finished i deleted the snapshot thinking that all traces of what i just did would be gone. Wrong. Right there inthe desktop was the software that I copied to the snapshot i deleted.

what did i do wrong?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The wording in the Snapshot Manager might be a bit confusing. Deleting a snaphot means that all current changes are comitted/merged into the parent disk and then the snapshot .vmdk file is deleted. If you don't want the latest changes, you need to use the "Goto" button.

André

0 Kudos
selkov
Contributor
Contributor

When would I use the goto button?

I guess what I need to know is how to make multiple snapshots and then delete it and go back to a virgin snapshot.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Don't understand this.  Did  you  create snapshots after you installed an OS?  This is probably not what you mean because I believe it is impossible (how would you boot the "VM"?).  Andre is complety 100%  corrcet .  Using the snapshot manager you can either go back to an earflier snapshot (the othwe  snapshots on rhw xhIN  stiill exist )  or just delete the snapshot.  anld move  "backward" "earlier"  on the chain.

0 Kudos