VMware Communities
KFWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Manager issue: Cannot revert to a previous snapshot

3 days ago updated to VMWare WorkStation 17.0.2 build-21581411

Today I cleaned up old snapshots using the Snapshot Manager. Now all (every single one) when I try to go back to the ones that remain I get this message:

An error occurred whole reverting to a snapshot:
A required file as not found

And that is it. No message on what it is looking for. Nothing.
If I try to run the 'You are here' in Snapshot Manager I get this:

File not found: Windows 10 Pro x64-000008.vdmk
This file is required to power on this virtual machine.
If this file was moved, specify the new location.

That files does NOT exist. I did NOT delete anything manually. Now NONE of my Snapshots are available.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This unfortunately looks kind of messy.

• The VM has AutoProtect snapshots enabled, which makes things even more complicated to recover.
  • The snapshots files for 000001 and 000007 are empty, i.e. only contain metadata.
  • Snapshot 000004 has 000002 as its parent, but the parentCID does not match, which means that the parent has been modified, and re-chaining may cause data corruption and/or loss. Snapshot 00004 is from 2021, and may be outdated anyway.
  • Does the linked clone - which looks like it has been re-created from different snapshots - still exist in "C:\Users\Kerry\Documents\Virtual Machines\Clone of Windows 10 Pro x64\Clone of Windows 10 Pro x64.vmx"? If it does, which .vmdk file shows up as the parentFileNameHint in its .vmdk descriptor file.

That said, the only healthy snapshot chain remaining is the one for snapshot 000002.

What I'd suggest you do, is to backup the VM's folder, then create a new sub-directory, and move all the files, except for the below mentioned ones into the sub-folder.

After that, edit the .vmx file, change scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows 10 Pro x64-000002.vmdk" and delete all of the snapshot.numRollingTiers / rollingTierX entries.

André

Windows 10 Pro x64.vmx
Windows 10 Pro x64.vmx~
Windows 10 Pro x64.vmxf
Windows 10 Pro x64.nvram

Windows 10 Pro x64.vmdk
Windows 10 Pro x64-s0xx.vmdk
Windows 10 Pro x64-000002.vmdk
Windows 10 Pro x64-000002-s0xx.vmdk

View solution in original post

8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To see what may be wrong, and what can be done, please - as a first step - provide a complete listing of the VM's files.
In case of a Windows host run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt, and in case of a Linux host run ls -lisa > filelist.txt.

Attach the resulting filelist.txt to your next reply.

André

KFWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached. Thank you Andre.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The folder seems to contain some stale files/folders, which however shouldn't be related to the current issue.

The next step is to compress/zip the 6 small descriptor .vmdk files (the ones without "-s0xx" in their file name), along with the .vmsd, and the .vmx file.

André

KFWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This unfortunately looks kind of messy.

• The VM has AutoProtect snapshots enabled, which makes things even more complicated to recover.
  • The snapshots files for 000001 and 000007 are empty, i.e. only contain metadata.
  • Snapshot 000004 has 000002 as its parent, but the parentCID does not match, which means that the parent has been modified, and re-chaining may cause data corruption and/or loss. Snapshot 00004 is from 2021, and may be outdated anyway.
  • Does the linked clone - which looks like it has been re-created from different snapshots - still exist in "C:\Users\Kerry\Documents\Virtual Machines\Clone of Windows 10 Pro x64\Clone of Windows 10 Pro x64.vmx"? If it does, which .vmdk file shows up as the parentFileNameHint in its .vmdk descriptor file.

That said, the only healthy snapshot chain remaining is the one for snapshot 000002.

What I'd suggest you do, is to backup the VM's folder, then create a new sub-directory, and move all the files, except for the below mentioned ones into the sub-folder.

After that, edit the .vmx file, change scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows 10 Pro x64-000002.vmdk" and delete all of the snapshot.numRollingTiers / rollingTierX entries.

André

Windows 10 Pro x64.vmx
Windows 10 Pro x64.vmx~
Windows 10 Pro x64.vmxf
Windows 10 Pro x64.nvram

Windows 10 Pro x64.vmdk
Windows 10 Pro x64-s0xx.vmdk
Windows 10 Pro x64-000002.vmdk
Windows 10 Pro x64-000002-s0xx.vmdk

KFWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Andre!!!! That worked!

One last question please. After I confirmed it worked, I exited the VM (I did not create a snapshot). I then used 'Edit Virtual Machine Settings' and used Defrag, and then Compact on the hard disk. About 76 gb of files remain. An updated file list is attached. Can any of these remaining files be safely removed? If not, that is okay. Just wondering.

Again: Thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM currently has a snapshot, which needs to be consolidated.

What should work - since the Snapshot Manager will not show the snapshots anymore - is to open the Snapshot Manger, create a new snapshot, and then - without closing the Snapshot Manager - select that new snapshot and click the Delete button. Due to the snapshot size, the consolidation might take some time, so please remain patient.
If that doesn't work, "Plan B" is create a full clone.

André

KFWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That helped.

Thank you Andre for everything!!!!

0 Kudos