VMware Communities
stocki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Smartcardreader not detected

Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded an evaluation copy of VMWare Workstation 7.1.3.

The hostcomputer is a Windows7 64 bit Ultimate Edition with 16GB Ram and a six core AMD Phenom CPU.

As a guest machine I built up a Windows7 32bit Professional Edition with 2GB Ram, one core CPU and a 120 GB HD.

To the hostcomputer I successfully attached an USB card reader ( Omnikey Cardman 3121 ).

Unfortunattely the guest PC is not able to access this card reader. However I see it in the statusbar of the VMWare application and it is showing a green light. You can see the icon changing when the card in the reader is being removed and put into the reader afterwards.

The reader is showing up in the Device Manager of the guest PC with some strange Microsoft driver and not with its own driver which was installed previously.

Does somebody have an idea how I can get this reader working on the guest PC?

Thank you!

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Kann ich den USB3 Support des Hosts deinstallieren?

Einen Versuch waere es wert - dafuer muesstest du die USB3 root-hubs deinstallieren

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome

if the card reader installs its own USB-root-hub driver you can not use it in a VM - please check in device manager of the host

0 Kudos
stocki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi continuum,

Thank you for your quick response! How can I see, whether the cardreader installed an USB hub on its own? I attached a screenshot of the device manager of the host.

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can check by looking at the properties of the USB-root-hub controllers.
But you have a USB3 controller in your host - that AFAIK means that USB-support in a VM will not work at all.
USB3 is not implemented

Can you use any USB-device in a guest ?

deutsch:
rechtsklick auf USB-root-hub > Eigenschaften > Treiber > Treiber-details
da werden dann die aktuell installierten Treiber gelistet

0 Kudos
stocki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Servus,

die Treiber sind alle von Microsoft. Und Du hast Recht, habe eine externe Festplatte und einen USB Stick an den Host angeschlossen und kann über dan Gastrechner nicht darauf zugreifen...

Kann ich den USB3 Support des Hosts deinstallieren?

Danke für Deine Unterstützung!

Es grüßt

Andreas

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Kann ich den USB3 Support des Hosts deinstallieren?

Einen Versuch waere es wert - dafuer muesstest du die USB3 root-hubs deinstallieren

0 Kudos
stocki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Servus continuum,

vielen Dank für Deine Hilfe! Du hast mir die richtige Richtung gezeigt!

Back to English:

After deinstalling the USB 3 drivers I rebootet the machine, started the VMWare and saw an error message telling me that the USB Arbitration is not working propperly. So I digged a little bit in this forum and found the following article, which solved my problem:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/241662

Even the cardreader is detected now on the virtual machine. Still my application is not seeing it, but this is a whole different ballgame!

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos