VMware Communities
Sysaf1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Slow ping request and time outs

Good day

i am running vmware workstation 8 on a Windows 7 x64 based plaform, i have loaded sbs server 2011 std, the problem i am having is the network drops it connection. if i run a ping command i will recieve <1ms responce time then it start to increase randomly it will eventualy time out for about 2 to 3 request and then carries on the ping again thus causing my database to lose connection. The vm guest os has its own nic in briged mode using VMnet0 bound to one nic.

any help will be welcomed

regards

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do it just connect the second NIC to your Switch with a stright through cable with different IP range. Please make sure you can ping your vmserver from your workstation.

Also you have to configure two IP address for accessing both router IP and vmware guest IP. If you use windows then here is the process configure more than one Ip address process. Have a look..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722518.aspx

abirhasan   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
som94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sysaf1,

Welcome to the community .

Assuming that you are using physical network ,If using virtual netwrok please let us know more anout digram.

Please make sure all NIC and switch are communication speed should be same.

Mean able to communicate in full duplex mode .

If  there is any collision then only this type of problem may occure .

"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code"
Sysaf1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply

all nic are connected to a netgear switch in full duplex mode.

pinging out of the guest seems to be fine. i have also notised that when the processor activity rises that is when the network disconects

thanks again

Kevin

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Pinging the guest from the host or vice versa over teh networks means that the packet crosses the NIC and protocol stack twice. At least the virtual NIC is served by the CPU That could explain, why you see more lost packets when the CPU is under load.

Are the VMWare Tools installed in the guest?

Can you check if you have collisions in your network (switch or physical NIC)?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Sysaf1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks AWo

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the vm tools, what would you recomend to use for checking network collisions. i am running switches and nic in full duplex so i thought that there would be no collisions?

0 Kudos
Sysaf1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network collision seems to have being caused by me RDP into host operating system to make changes, have not RDP in once to day and they have not being disconected. hope this problem is solved, does any one recomend moving the router onto a 2nd nic on a differant ip range so that i can RDP in without causing diconections?

0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do it just connect the second NIC to your Switch with a stright through cable with different IP range. Please make sure you can ping your vmserver from your workstation.

Also you have to configure two IP address for accessing both router IP and vmware guest IP. If you use windows then here is the process configure more than one Ip address process. Have a look..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722518.aspx

abirhasan   
0 Kudos
Sysaf1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks abirhasan

will definatly do that, thaks for your help

regards

Kevin

0 Kudos