VMware Communities
mhamill
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Response on Mouse Clicks - Driving me nuts.

I have a VM Ware Workstation V 5.0 Running on a Dell Optiplex 2.8Ghz Workstaiton 1 2 GB of RAM (512 for the VMware) which is giving me issues.

When I start my VM the mouse responsiveness is delayed or even ignored at the guest OS.

Double clicking on something results in a 1 second delay and then behaves like a single click. Clicks sem to get queued up before they register.

I have swapped mice, installed VM ware tools and adjusted the hardware accelleration

I have 5 other machines which have the exact same configuration and are running fine.

Any other ideas I can try?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MudLevelGnuby
Contributor
Contributor

How fast or slow is your VM in other areas. It sounds like something is slowing it down. Basically, is the slowdown just the mouse, or the whole machine ?

If it is more than the mouse, you might try Autoruns and Process explorer from Sysinternals (free downloads).

0 Kudos
craig78731
Contributor
Contributor

Try physically unplugging and replugging the mouse.

I had these exact symptoms, and this seems to have resolved it. (I rebooted both VM and host, changed memory settings, uninstalled/reinstalled VM Ware tools, and a few other things.)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Was the VM in a powered-off or suspended state when you powered it on?

If you're resuming from suspend, it might be sluggish because you have background snapshots enabled, which tries to restore the VM's memory in the background (at the cost of some initial sluggishness, especially in Workstation 5).

0 Kudos
craig78731
Contributor
Contributor

(I guess this topic has become mine.)

First, I'm running Workstation 6. And I use a fairly typical Dell USB mouse.

The only thing sluggish were the mouse clicks and mouse movement. Keyboard usage was responding immediately and all processes ran without visible hesitation. Also, this same behavior occurred in every VM that I restored even after waiting for the machine to complete it's restoration. And, as I mentioned above, rebooting the VM nor the host machine seemed to make any difference in this behavior. I even tried reinstalling the VMWare Tools (and a few other suggestions from other Posts on here) but to no use.

Since I'd not seen anyone suggest simply re-plugging the mouse (and this seems to be what fixed my problem), I thought I should provide this simple but not-too-intuitive solution.

0 Kudos