VMware Communities
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Performance on Multicore Processors with Workstation

I recently updated my laptop machine from a 1.4 GHz Intel Pentium M processor to a Dual 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I have Workstation 6.5.2 Build 156735 on both PCs.

I copied the Virtual Machine from 1 machine to another (it was a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a machine). When I run an application in the NT VM that uses the serial port, the system hangs for hours. When it does respond, I can not get the serial port to function.

I have compared both machines and as far as I can tell, there is no difference between the machines other than the host CPU.

I have also recently replaced my desktop computers. The older 1 was a core duo and the newer one is an 8-way 2.00 GHz Intel Xeon E5504. Again, I have the same version of Workstation installed on both. This time I created new virtual machines (Windows XP - both hosts are Windows XP SP3). Now, when I start the VMs, they start up fine, but then they use 100% of the guest CPU time for about 10 minutes. Then they settle down and seem to work just fine. We use Computer Assocates ETrust virus scanning software. What I am thinking that is happening is that when the VMs power up, they are updating the signatures. But, I never noticed this happening on the older desktop machine.

Anybody have any ideas on what may be causing this behaviour?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are any of your Guests configured with more than 1 virtual CPU? If so, revert back to 1 vCPU and try again.

0 Kudos
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

No, none of the guest systems are configured for more than 1 CPU

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

...We use Computer Assocates ETrust virus scanning software. What I am thinking that is happening is that when the VMs power up, they are updating the signatures. But, I never noticed this happening on the older desktop machine.

Can you temporarily uninstall or disable ETrust to rule it out as the cause of the problem?

Can you attach the vmware.log file from the directory containing one of your Guests so that I can take a look at it?

0 Kudos
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that I have 2 problems that I thought may be related (due to the fact that both computers are dual core). However, for now, I would like to concentrate on the laptop issue, as this is the hardest to work around and prevents me from using the laptop as it should be used.

The application that I am trying to run communicates via the serial port to an external industrial controller. On the old laptop, all worked just fine. On the new laptop, when I start the application, it tries to connect to the device via the serial port. I can see the little light flicker in the serial port icon on the VM window, but the software just does not move forward. After about an hour, I guess it gives up and opens to the application menu (telling me that the device is not online). However, response is very slow (minutes to respond to even a change in menu option). I think since it was told to be on-line, it is constantly trying to communciate with the device and therefore timing out.

What I really don't understand is that this was working just fine on the old laptop. I copied the entire guest OS directory to my new machine and I thought that it would run the same way. I did check the serial port on the host and it does work. Attached is the vwmare.log from the NT guest.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I took a look at your vmware.log file and have a few suggestions. Please try them in the following order to see if they fix the problem:

- - Configure your Guest's CD-ROM to start "disconnected".

- - Inside your Guest, please uninstall the VMware Tools, reboot, and then reinstall the VMware Tools (want to make sure the latest version of Tools are properly installed as I noticed quite a few VLANCE message in your vmware.log)

- - Looks like you are using VMware Shared Folders. Please (temporarily) disable your VMware Shared Folders to rule them out as the cause of this specific problem. (There are many known problems with VMware Shared Folders and I recommend not using them at all).

Let us know if any of the above suggestions work for you.

0 Kudos
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

I performed the operations in the order suggested, but still no change. The guest still hangs when the communication application is started. As an additional piece of information, on the guest, the NTVDM process uses about 95-99% of CPU time. Overall CPU utilization is 100%.

Attached is the log file from the last run.

 Please consider the environment before printing this Email message.

David Hendel

Senior Systems Engineer

Loman Control Systems, Inc.

Voice: 717.627.2820 Ext. 17 

Fax: 717.626.8285

daveh@mail.lomancsi.com

www.lomancsi.com

Certified CSIA Integrator since 2000

ATTENTION: This message and all attachments are PRIVATE, and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message immediately.

0 Kudos
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still trying to get the application to work. Is there anyway to do this or should I just forget it?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

virtualHW.version = 4

scsi0:0.fileName = Windows NT.vmdk.REDO_a03816

this must be a very old VM.

To you need it to be compatible with old Workstation 3 or GSX 2.5 ?

I would try to update the virtual hardware of this VM to version 6 for best results with NT4.

If unsure about the consequences - use the "clone changed VM into a new VM" option

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new VM and installed WIndows NT 4.0 SP3 on it. I still have the same problem. The application does not run properly and it does not communicate via the serial port. Also, ntvdm hogs system resources when the application runs (about 90%).

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>It appears that I have 2 problems that I thought may be related (due to the fact that both computers are dual core). However, for now, I would like to concentrate on the laptop issue, as this is the hardest to work around and prevents me from using the laptop as it should be used.

>The application that I am trying to run communicates via the serial port to an external industrial controller. On the old laptop, all worked just fine. On the new laptop, when I start the application, it tries to connect to the device via the serial port. I can see the little light flicker in the serial port icon on the VM window, but the software just does not move forward. After about an hour, I guess it gives up and opens to the application menu (telling me that the device is not online). However, response is very slow (minutes to respond to even a change in menu option). I think since it was told to be on-line, it is constantly trying to communciate with the device and therefore timing out.

>What I really don't understand is that this was working just fine on the old laptop. I copied the entire guest OS directory to my new machine and I thought that it would run the same way. I did check the serial port on the host and it does work. Attached is the vwmare.log from the NT guest.

I created a new VM and installed WIndows NT 4.0 SP3 on it. I still have the same problem. The application does not run properly and it does not communicate via the serial port. Also, ntvdm hogs system resources when the application runs (about 90%).

Was your old laptop running the same version of VMware Workstation as your new laptop? Same host Operating Sytem and patch levels? Same AntiVirus? What brand/model is your old laptop? What brand/model is your new laptop?

Are you using the same cables to connect to your external controller (just wondering if maybe the cables/connectors are going bad)?

0 Kudos
dhendel
Contributor
Contributor

The old laptop:

Dell Latitude D800; VM Ware Workstation 6.5.2 bulid-156735; Windows XP Pro SP3 (VMWare installed before SP3)

The new laptop:

Dell Latitude E5500; VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 build-1854404; Windows XP Pro SP3 (VMWare installed after SP3; originally this machine has 6.5.2 build-156735 installed on it but it was updated sometime after 8/28/09 and after the problems started - I suppose I could un-installed 6.5.3 and install 6.5.2 or an even older version to see what happens)

Not sure about patch levels. The old machine was taken out of service end of June; new machine was placed in service mid to late July. Old laptop updates were performed around early April; new laptop has the latest updates (10/1/09).

Same cables and connectors as before. They work on the old laptop with the application. They do not work with the new laptop and application but the serial port does work on the new laptop (checked using Hyperterminal).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I created a new VM and installed WIndows NT 4.0 SP3 on it. I still have the same problem.

Do you need to stick to that very old NT servicepack ? AFAIK servicepack 6 makes NT more VM-friendly

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos