VMware Communities
emusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sleep/hibernate without VM process termination

In Windows driver debugging, it is required to test power state transitions (Running/Sleep/Hibernate). But after processing a power state transition, VMware saves VM state and terminates a VM process (vmware-vmx.exe). On resume, VMware starts a new VM process so a kernel-mode debugger (I use WinDbg) must re-connect to it to retrieve debug messages. Since a pipe emulating a VM's COM port is deleted on VM termination and created anew on VM startup, I have to manually force the debugger to re-connect. But unlike a normal VM startup that can be delayed with bios.bootDelay, there is no way to delay VM startup from sleep/hibernate state. So the debugger usually does not properly connect at a first time, I have to re-connect it two or even three times and some debug messages are lost.

Is there a way to place a VM to sleep/hibernate state without VM process temination, and restore to working state without process relaunch?

I use Workstation 8.0.6 but could upgrade to a newer version if it has the required feature.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi emusic,

For S3 Sleep, try adding to the virtual machine's configuration:

chipset.onlineStandby = "TRUE"

That should keep the vmware-vmx.exe process running when the guest enters S3, which I'd expect would allow your serial port to remain connected throughout the sleep-wake cycle.

Our virtual machines do not implement S4 Hibernation.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi emusic,

For S3 Sleep, try adding to the virtual machine's configuration:

chipset.onlineStandby = "TRUE"

That should keep the vmware-vmx.exe process running when the guest enters S3, which I'd expect would allow your serial port to remain connected throughout the sleep-wake cycle.

Our virtual machines do not implement S4 Hibernation.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
emusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent!

Thank you very much for the option. Works exactly as needed, kernel debugger remains connected and no messages are lost now.

S3 is quite enough for my needs.

0 Kudos