VMware Communities
mjhock
Contributor
Contributor

Single processor with multiple cores or Dual processor with multiple cores for VMware Workstation 11

I'm trying to pick the best hardware platform to run VMware Workstation 11 on a desktop workstation. I want to know if a Dual processor with multiple cores will perform better than a Single processor with the same number of cores. The answer I guess will be in part determined by the amount of memory available, but assuming I have at least 32G per processor, is there any reason to spend the extra money on a Dual processor machine?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Won't make much of a difference. If you're so inclined to look at the CPU then make sure you got the latest line, have most "intel smart cache" etc.

It is more important to have a lot of RAM and fast disk nowadays as having more CPU cores as you usually run out of internal memory or bump into a slow performing disk system before you run out of CPU. That's assuming a normal workload.

Of course there are minimums on number of cores (a dual core host will run out of CPU) but if you buy a host to be used for virtualisation then you would normally start at a quad core CPU anyways.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have always opted for dual package systems (Dell Precision Workstations) myself, and haven't been disappointed.

I have presently a T5500 with dual 6 core Xeons (now 5 year old tech) and it easily runs 5 Windows VMs without even stuttering the sound.  I have 16 cores configured in one of the VMs.

This is not comparative information, since I don't have a single package system to compare it to.

-Noel

0 Kudos