VMware Communities
ChaosEnergy
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown of Guest, suddenly files missing

Hi all

i upgraded my ubuntun server to next release for testing
wasnt happy with the result, so i rolled back to the last snapshot i did before after a shutdown before starting the process

Now i get the message vmdk missing
any snapshot in the row states the same issue

as there is no backup (why...a rollback regular solves issues for me) and it contains work from several month inside
i m now in huge trouble
i never thought that i will need a backup cause i trust vmware workstation to do its job correctly

hope anyone has an idea what can be done

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> any snapshot in the row states the same issue
Can you please clearify how your snapshot chain looks like, i.e. paste a screenshot of the Snapshot Manager window?
Based on this I may request more details.

André

0 Kudos
ChaosEnergy
Contributor
Contributor

ChaosEnergy_0-1622662092095.png

Hello Andre
thanks for replying

first, after a backup of all files I tried somethign based on the date/time of the files
I changed the names in the VMX files to those which fit to the time where i did the last snapshot (before ubuntu upgrade)

the good news is
I have a working system..and only lost the part, which i already wanted to revert

the interesting part is
i only changed the number from 8 to 3

during restart it now always says it cant find the file D:\mad\MAD-disk1-000003.vmdk
then i open the browse dialog, go to drive D, into folder MAD, click the file...and it works
dont understand why this is an issue, but for now at least i have my workign system back
if i now always need to click this browse for file dialog..i wont care

now i will try to do a clone

holy **bleep**, this is a roller coaster of emotions...i never have had something similiar in my whole vmware time

ChaosEnergy_1-1622662270212.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Glad to see you found a way to make the VM work again.

Regarding the missing file error. Remember that a virtual disk may consist of multiple .vmdk files, the header/descriptor file (which shows up in the error message), and several data files (ones with s00x.vmdk) in their name. If one or more of these files are missing you'd see the error message.

The above assumes that you are using the default virtual disk file format, which is the split sparse file format.

André

0 Kudos
ChaosEnergy
Contributor
Contributor

I reverted on snapshot
the files have been deleted
the vmx file has not been changed

so the system tried to start with the files from the deleted snapshot

i would assume, this should not happen...

i never have had this in all the years, as i use revert very often

and yes, i m very happy that i got it running

one issue left..the vm now consumes a lot cpu power, and there is no reason for it...but i will back up all important and install a new linux server

0 Kudos