VMware Communities
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

Should I get a laptop with VT-x support?

Hi,

I'm on the market looking for a new laptop and I'm undecided between getting one with the new Intel i3/i5/i7 cpu's or something like the U5400. They are quite different, I know. The thing is, I want a ULV laptop and the one I'm most interested in is getting a refresh this summer (it's a Sony)but it comes with the U5400 and not the new ULV i', which is a shame.

Anyway, the i's come with VT-x and the U5400 does not (along with other things that the i's have that the other one doesn't). And I use VMware Workstation a lot in my university, I'm a Windows user but I'm required to use Linux for some classes and I don't like to dual boot all the time.

Would I have any benefit by running VMware Workstation with VT-x enabled or I might as well go for the U5400?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe that VT support is required to run 64-bit Guests.

0 Kudos
jreypo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I would go for a laptop with a VT-X capable processor five by five. Without Intel virtualization extensions you wouldn't be capable of running x64 guests, like ESX and ESXi VMs to create your small VI3/vSphere "mobile" lab, or any x64 version of linux or windows needed to run 64bit specific software, for example you wouldn't be capable of running WS2008R2 which is only distributed as a 64bit OS.

Hope this helps

---

Juan Manuel Rey - @jreypo at Twitter

HP-UX zealot - Virtualization junkie - Storage hobbyist

0 Kudos
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

Is that the only real benefit? Running 64-bits guests?

I don't have any interest in doing so...

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

additionally to be able to run 64 bits guests, if you want to practice making virtual esx(i), then the CPU must have Intel VT enabled.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful or corrrect answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar cualquier respuesta útil o correcta. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

I've already stated that I don't have any interest in 64bit guests.

0 Kudos