VMware Communities
gctaylor11
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing a virtual machine and Using Folders to Manage Virtual Machines; incompatible?

I've got a client/server app that I support and it requires multiple(3-5) VMs to be kept around for each build.  Because of the distributed nature of the product I support, the build numbers have to match exactly.  Keeping track of the VMs has been a challenge.  

I recently found the "Using Folders to Manage Virtual Machines" topic and that looks very useful because I can create folders within Workstation and organize my VMs by folder.  The "problem" is that I keep my VMs on a separate machine and in Workstation use "File > Connect to Server" to do as much management of the VMs as possible.  Using Workstation remotely like this requires the VMs be shared, which doesn't seem compatible with my new found "Using Folders to Manage Virtual Machines" technique.  If I use the new technique it'll mean pretty much having an RDP session to the machine housing the VMs all the time.  That's not the worst thing in the world but it just adds to the clutter. It also appears that I can't use WSX either.  I haven't used WSX much so maybe there is something I'm missing there as well. 

Just wondering if there might be a better/different way to organize my VMs or hopefully I'm overlooking some aspect of this? 

VMWare Workstation 10

OS Windows 7

0 Kudos
0 Replies