VMware Communities
mpollicove
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing a VPN from guest to host

Hello there VMWare Experts,

I have an interesting problem. I am running Windows 7 64 bit and need to log into my VPN which does not have a 64 bit client yet.

What I would like to do as a workaround is run a 32 bit VM in the background that can access my VPN and then share the VPN connection through the Guest/Host connection.

Is this possible?

Thanks much,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. You can try to give your guest a second network adapter that's "host-only". Then try whether guest and host can ping each other over this network while the VPN is off. Then fire up your VPN client, make sure it uses the first network, log in to the VPN and try the ping on that second network again. It might not work anymore because VPN clients tend to disable all networks they find on the machine. There might be a workaround for your particular VPN client, but I have no experience with that. The ones I've tried don't allow any network besides the VPN.

What works, however is folder sharing. I'm using that every day. I have a VM that connects to a VPN, downloads emails, dumps them into a shared folder, and I read them from the host. Maybe folder sharing is a compromise for you as well. The nice thing for me is that I need the VPN only for email and with this setup, the guest holds the VPN connection for only that purpose and I can still use the regular Internet on the host.

0 Kudos