VMware Communities
kdbond
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing a NAS via Shared folders files marked read-only

I have a FreeNAS system the the Windows 7 VMWare Workstation 9.0.2 host connects to.  The login is via local permissions and accounts on the NAS. Mounting as the P: drive on the host everything works as expected, I can read and write files without any issues.  However, on both Windows and Linux guest machines I map the drive mapped to the NAS as a shared folder and in the guest OS all the files are marked as read-only.  On the Linux guests, I just map the UID and everything works because the UID matches and the OS lets me operate on the files.  However, in the Windows guest I cannot find any way to override the permissions to allow writes regardless of the owner of the files.

I have to use a shared folder instead of connecting to the NAS directly because the VM guest machines will connect to a remote VPN and I would lose access to the NAS while the VPN was connected.

How do I get the windows guest to not maps these files (which are read/write in the host) to be read/write in the guest OS?

0 Kudos
0 Replies