VMware Communities
Dubovik
Contributor
Contributor

SharedVMs problem

I have VMWare Workstation 10.0.7 build-2844087 under Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (64 bit) 5.2.3790, Service Pack 2.

I have a very strange problem with Shared VMs:

- "A general system error occurred:." message while trying to open Shared VMs in the main window;

- "VMware Workstation failed to connect to the Workstation Server." message while trying to enable sharing in Edit ---> Preferences ---> Shared VMs.

01.png

02.png

More details:

- VMWare Workstation Server service starts and stops correctly;

- connection to VMWare Workstation Server to specified port (4443) is OK;

- reinstalling VMWare has no effect;

- reinstalling VMWare with deleting of all settings (.xml files) has no effect;

- theres's very strange error messages in hostd.log (full log DropMeFiles – free one-click file sharing service😞

2018-07-15T10:48:31.041+03:00 [00148 info 'Libs' opID=hostd-a090] [ADS] Failed to lookup account 䵈䅜浤湩獩牴瑡牯  (err: 1332, [16, 256])

2018-07-15T10:48:31.041+03:00 [00148 error 'Default' opID=hostd-a090] AdapterServer caught exception: User 䵈䅜浤湩獩牴瑡牯

I have seen several topics on different forums with the same problem and without any solution. There was different VMWare versions, so it seems to be a very old and persistant bug.

I can give more logs.

Please help me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
twojenski
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem with Workstation 14.1.2, running in Ubuntu 16.04.

It seems like the 'Server' part of Workstation can not be contacted and perhaps is not started/running?

I'm running Workstation from terminal as sudo.  I'm assuming that all the other VMWare processes that are being kickoff are running as sudo as well.

VMWARE_SharedVMsLocation.png

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
twojenski
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me if this an actual bug/problem, or something with user privileges.  No replies on this for some time now...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upgrade workstation to latest version 14.1.3  and have a try again?

0 Kudos
twojenski
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I will try with 14.1.3.

However this problem seem to have been around for a few versions, so that is why I'm thinking its user privileges problem on Linux that has never been addressed.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who has this functionality working on any flavor of Linux.

0 Kudos