VMware Communities
WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shared folders not accessible after installing Windows 10 update 1607

Hi,

Using: VMware Workstation Pro 12.5

Since I've installed the latest updates (1607) for Windows 10 Enterprise, my Shared folders aren't accessible anymore.

I do see it mentioned in Explorer but it has a red cross.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello WiZZs,

Welcome at the VMware Community forum.

These type of issues are almost always due to a broken VMware Tools install.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

A bit of a longer description is: 

• In Windows, go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Select VMware Tools -> Uninstall

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools

• Reboot the guest (==Windows)
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

If no installer appears, go to the DVD-rom within windows and click "setup" (for 32 bits windows) or "setup64" (for 64 bits windows)

Once you see an installer, click "Next" until Finish, keep the defaults.

• Reboot the guest when done installing (it will ask by itself to reboot)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

10 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello WiZZs,

Welcome at the VMware Community forum.

These type of issues are almost always due to a broken VMware Tools install.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

A bit of a longer description is: 

• In Windows, go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Select VMware Tools -> Uninstall

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools

• Reboot the guest (==Windows)
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

If no installer appears, go to the DVD-rom within windows and click "setup" (for 32 bits windows) or "setup64" (for 64 bits windows)

Once you see an installer, click "Next" until Finish, keep the defaults.

• Reboot the guest when done installing (it will ask by itself to reboot)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

In Windows (host), go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features I only have "VMware Workstation", so no "VMWare Tools"

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was talking about the install of VMware Tools in the guest operating system, not the host OS that has VMware Workstation installed.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much Wil. It works perfectly.

0 Kudos
regnillob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried this twice in 12.5, rebooting in between uninstall and install, and my Shared Folders are still not accessible. I then downgraded to VMware 12.1.1 and my Shared Folders that were working before are not! VMware 12.5 corrupted my VMs and I had to pull from backup to get working again under 12.1.1. I haven't found a way to get 12.5 working with a Windows 10.1607 VM that uses Shared Folders. Is there an update planned to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had servaral vrirtual machines that all were initially setup with version 12.5.

After installing Windows update 1607 (anniversary update) all machines showed the same problem, but all could be correct with the solution earlier mentioned bij Wila (6-okt-2016 14:28).

Start Guest

Remove VMWare Tools from Guest via Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Select VMware Tools -> Uninstall

Reboot Guest

Install VMware Tools on Guest via VM -> Install VMware Tools

Reboot Guest

0 Kudos
regnillob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Mine were not originally set up under 12.5. Some were 12.1 and others were created in earlier versions. But the suggested fix did not work in my case. So I want to issue a . . .

WARNING! Be aware that using VMware Workstation 12.5 on Windows 10 with the 1607 "Anniversary" update could break Shared Folders in that VM even if you go back to opening that VM in a pre-12.5 version of Workstation.

The only way I could get my VMs working again was to pull copies from backup. Uninstalling and reinstalling VMware Tools many times, including reboots in between, did not allow Shared Folders to work.

0 Kudos
epochtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue and found this to fix my problem. original URL here: Shared Folders - Windows 10 upgrade from 15.11.

From Steve Goddard in original post:

All you have to do is edit the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order

Name: ProviderOrder

Type: REG_SZ

Data: "RDPNP, LanmanWorkstation,webclient"

Modify to:

Data: "vmhgfs,RDPNP, LanmanWorkstation,webclient"

Exit the registry application

Then you will then have the shared folders drives and UNC paths accessible once more. No need to reboot or log off. No need to uninstall and install tools again.

WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks epochtech: Maybe I'll use your solution next time MS messes things up :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
canaconstance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much, I've tried based on your instruction and it's working like a magic finally my shared folders show...

0 Kudos