VMware Communities
email_to_shashi
Contributor
Contributor

Shared folders & adobe reader

Host: Windows 7 x64

Guest: Ubuntu Linux 10.10 & 11.04

Software: VMware Workstation 7.1.4

From the host i have added a shared folder (the folder with full of PDF files and PPT/DOC files) to my Linux guests.

In the guests the shared folder mounted at /mnt/hgfs and all of my files appeared.

The problem what i am facing is, i am not able to open the PDF files in /mnt/hgfs (either through adobe reader software, or through any other PDF reader). However i am able to open PPT/DOC files with OpenOffice in the guests.

I thought the problem could be the permissions. I have mounted the shared folder to a different directory with UID and GID options, with UID and GID of my Linux user name. But still i am not able to open my PDF files. Adobe acrobat says "not able to open the doc, internal error occured".

Please anyone tell me how could i solve this issue?

Thank you. Regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If instead of using VMware Shared Folders you use normal SMB/CIFS File Sharing are you able to open the PDF files?

0 Kudos
email_to_shashi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i am, if i share a directory through SMB.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you're able to open specific file types via a normal SMB/CIFS Share but not via VMware Shared Folders while being able to open other file types at the same time in the same location with the same permissions then it would appear to be an issue in the implementation of the HGFS Driver however someone from VMware will have to comment on that.

I normally do not use VMware Shared Folders, just to many issues with that feature over the years even though is better now then in the past, and prefer to use normal industry standard sharing instead however I'll try to reproduce your issue sometime today and post back my results.

0 Kudos