VMware Communities
clausp
Contributor
Contributor

Shared folders - How does it work

Hi,

I am looking for information on how shared folders work (in WS,player ). How does Host and guest communicate - I am specifficly thinking about windows guest on windows host.

Is the communication done by tcpip or some other internal comm.? I have used it several times and know that I can access my shared folders through
.host or My Network places. Does anyone have experience in assigning a drive letter to the shared folder?

Are there any security related issues in this or is it strictly HOST and GUEST communication.

I appreciate any help and links for further reading!

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tweener
Contributor
Contributor

I'd also be interested in knowing how shared folders work...In particular, if the guest is connected in bridged mode to the same router the host is connected to, is there a redundant Samba traffic between the two OS? I mean, the communication goes only through local memory, or the Samba traffic goes to the router, then back to the guest (which phisically is on the same machine than the guest), and viceversa?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

There was a post a while ago from a VMware developer explaining this.

IIRC correctly the shared folders "emulate" network traffic but the communication itself doesn't rely on the network.

Are there any security related issues in this or is it strictly HOST and GUEST communication.

As with any communication between the host and the guest there's a possible security risk.

All of the known security problems are related to host - guest communication.

See these threads and regarding the possible implications.

0 Kudos