VMware Communities
jweichin
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Virtual Machines

16.2 Release notes - 

Product Support Notices

• The shared virtual machine feature is no longer supported from Workstation 16.2.0 Pro.

16.1.2 Release notes

Product Support Notices

• Deprecation of the Shared virtual machine feature
    The Shared virtual machine feature (VMware Workstation as server) is being deprecated. It will remain in its present form for the remainder of the VMware Workstation 16 product life. This feature will be not available in a future release.

As far as I'm concerned you need to add this back in as it's still part of the version 16 product life.. Don't change it midstream. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I'm not VMware... but originally the life cycle of VMware 16.x effectively ended on December 2021.

They have now extended that with what basically would be VMware 17, but renamed it to 16.2.
Basically a free upgrade for everyone already on 16 (They've done it before to indicate that the minor version bump is a free upgrade).

So while I understand your point of view, I also understand theirs. VMware also mentioned they are working on a replacement for Shared VM's (and frankly I kinda expected to see it arrive now, but apparently not yet).

Finally -and I'm unsure if this helps for your case- if you are running Workstation on Windows and only need the automatic start/shutdown feature then you might be helped with my vimarun product.

Hopefully someone from VMware drops in with better news, but the release notes indicate that it was not a simple oversight.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jweichin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

According to the Matrix (see capture.jpg) support ends Dec 2022. That means according to the 16.1.2 release notes this feature should be in 16.x period. IF this is supposed to be 17, then it should have been named so as the next major release and then my argument/being upset is invalid. But its not, it's version 16.2.

I used the shared feature because I have a desktop in my office, and then another machine upstairs that I use to connect to. So it's more than just the auto power up and down. 

And no offence, but I'm not dropping more money on a 3rd party app. 

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The support matrix was just updated to take the new extension into account.
See, the first paragraph here:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2021/10/workstation-16-2-now-available.html

No worries, I understand not wanting to pay for a 3rd party app.
Sadly I can't give the tool away for free and also support it.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos