VMware Communities
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shared Virtual Machine's 3D Acceleration Doesn't Work

I have set up a shared virtual machine. To test out 3D Acceleration, I started a simple game of Minesweeper from Windows Games. When I tried to start the game, I got a message that looks like this:

VMhardwareAcc.png

I then shut down the Virtual Machine, then clicked VM>Manage>Stop Sharing. Once the Virtual Machine was transferred back into the local folder, I could play Minesweeper perfectly fine on the exact same guest virtual machine. It seems this problem is only apparent when the Virtual Machine is shared. I clicked VM>Manage>Share to re-share the Virtual Machine. Currently, the Virtual Machine is in "Share" mode. Here is a screenshot of the settings:

VMsettings.png

As you can clearly see, 3D Acceleration is enabled in the settings. So why doesn't it actually work? Does anyone know how to get 3D Acceleration working for shared virtual machines? Thank you!

HOST SPECS:

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64 bit)

Intel i7 Quad Core (4.0 GHz)

NVidia GTX 680 Graphics Processor

16 GB RAM

GUEST SPECS:

Windows 7 Professional (x64 bit)

2 Processors, 1 Core per processor

8 GBs RAM

Big thank you for any and all help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Correct, that is not supported when using Shared Virtual Machines.

Its in the documentation and in the knowledge base:

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005585

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gee whiz. Isn't there anyone out there that can provide me with a definite "yes" or "no" as to whether or not 3D Acceleration is supported in Shared Virtual Machines? This shouldn't be that difficult. :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Correct, that is not supported when using Shared Virtual Machines.

Its in the documentation and in the knowledge base:

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005585

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well ain't that just a buzz kill? Loss of copy and paste as well....bummer. Oh well, looks like it's back to using Windows Remote Desktop Connection.

What I don't get is that Windows Remote Desktop Connection has copy and paste. I don't understand why they didn't implement that in VMware Server. As Windows Remote Desktop Connection proves, it's very possible. Also, I don't get why Shared Virtual Machines can't take advantage of 3D Acceleration if the host is fully capable. The loss of these features doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos