VMware Communities
mid0x
Contributor
Contributor

Shared VMs removed in 16.0, but VMware still opens ports related to it? is this a joke?

So let me get this straight, VMware removed the Shared VMs from options completely, so meaning there is no such option anymore, but it STILL OPENS ports related to it? :

tcp LISTEN 0 5 0.0.0.0:902 0.0.0.0:*

Why there is no option in VMware for me to close this open port? why would you open ports on your customers computers for a service that doesnt exist anymore??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@mid0x 

The services are still present in 16.0 and there have been multiple threads over the last week talking about the return of the UI options since the release of 16.1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mid0x
Contributor
Contributor

I updated to 16.1 and still there are no options to disable them..

and that doesn't answer the question, WHY would VMware still run these services and open ports on customers computers when the feature was removed from options?  why there is no option to disable it in VMware or any mention of it?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@mid0x 

This is as much as I can personally offer: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Shared-VM-s/m-p/2811782

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

IIRC then it is a matter of disabling the vmware hostd service to close that port.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos