VMware Communities
silverbios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shared VM gone in workstation 16!

After installing version 16, I realized that the Shared-VM feature was removed and there is no "hostd" service on Linux but in windows "hostd" exist but there is not any section for configuration in GUI or CLI!

this a bug or completely removed!?

59 Replies
jfowlie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well... that's the end of upgrades for me. I'll move over to another technology after using VMware for well over a decade. I'm not even a rounding error for them, though.

This was a critical feature for me in emergencies. Of course, once I had the emergency, that's when I discovered VMware let us down.

I'll revert to v15 for the moment and start exporting guests to migrate.

What a complete letdown.

--James

taulatin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's terrible news...

I will never purchase VMWARE anymore!

I have 3 licenses, this is a time for migration to something else...

VMWARE stop playing with Docker... we don't need this 'marketing technology'

ElCoyote_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's not true, I think. The feature was brought back to VMware Workstation 16 for Windows, not VMware Workstation 16 for Linux.

0 Kudos
JemAdler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks VmWare 😉 for making KrisLinux point out to another virtual product I didn't know.
Maybe ProxmoxVE/CE will be my next Vm platform...

0 Kudos
taulatin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is [removed by moderator] VMWARE!  You can't to remove the very important feature for many people, just because a [removed by moderator] manager decided to do that because you are in a big black financial hole.

I HAVE to leave VMWARE for something else. RIP VMWARE. 

0 Kudos
real_skydiver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This year is payback time. I'm currently working for a client who develops banking and stock-trading solutions. The developers them self - but very much so the QA team - are relying on virtualization solutions. 

I just recently had a chat with the CEO and we came across this new 'feature' of VMware Workstation. At the end we both agreed that it is time to look for a new solution. Since they are a bit Windows-centric the solution is obvious: Hyper-V.

We also agreed that it is not so much the removing of sharing VM's - but more the uncertainty that VMware (as a company) introduces: you never know what's around the corner. And this is a definite no-go. The effort to switch to a new virtualization is predictable - which can't be said for the future of VMware.

This is not the first time VMware removed a feature. We both remembered the hassle with vmrun on shared VM's and the pain that it caused. They were just letting it die - in this case even without noticing.

Looking forward to this new mission - switching to Hyper-V.

KrisLinux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are welcome @JemAdler 😉

Basically we are already using a few alternatives of missing Vmware SharedVM on Linux:

1 - with bigger machines - just the mentioned ProxmoxVE - https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page - but I do recommend the manual installation over individual Debians 10.5+ setups https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster - so you can fully customize your workstations beforehand to keep them fully usable from direct desktop user perspective and still have shared VMs over network.

This is my primary alternative for now.

2 - for smaller, eg. notebook's based workstations - there is also second way to go directly with Desktop Ubuntu 20.04.1+LTS and then setup built it virtualization on KVM and libvirt by:
egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
apt install -y cpu-checker
kvm-ok
apt install qemu qemu-kvm libvirt-clients libvirt-daemon libvirt-daemon-system bridge-utils virt-manager virtinst virt-top libguestfs-tools libosinfo-bin qemu-system
systemctl status libvirtd
systemctl enable --now libvirtd
lsmod | grep -i kvm
adduser USERNAME libvirt
adduser USERNAME libvirt-qemu
apt-get install cockpit cockpit-machines cockpit-networkmanager cockpit-system cockpit-dashboard
ufw allow 9090
Acces the WebGuiConsole from anywhere - https://192.168.your.IP:9090/ - with the USERNAME and system password
# optionally even with multiple machines - https://cockpit-project.org/guide/latest/feature-machines.html - so similarly to ProxmoxVE clusters.

3 - or similarly to 2 but for RedHat/CentOS fans - just follow the Ovirt instruction:

https://www.ovirt.org/download/ - to Install oVirt using the Cockpit wizard to have it done.

So basically speaking - you can have either Debian/10.5+PVE or Ubuntu/20.04/KVM/Cockpit or with RedHat/Centos based remotely accessible VMs on the workstations just for FREE 😉

Happy to help,

Cheers, Kris.

Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has there been any further discussion about removing the shared VM feature from 16.1 since January? Our company still has vmware 15.x running, including the shared vm feature. As we are developers in the Java field, we primarily use Linux as OS basis, not windows. On workstation 16.1 for linux the "shared VM" feature is still gone.

I have to decide about the next step for our test environment now. If vmware will keep the policy that "shared vm" is "end of live", we will not upgrade vmware workstation licenses to 16.x. Instead we will switch to alternative technologies, with proxmox/KVM being the primary alternative.

Bye, Thommie

0 Kudos
tldzyx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will keep in 15.x, I need the vm auto sleep and auto weak, just vm like a system service. only shared vm can do it, although I don't shared vm for anyone, it's my private compute with only one user on windows system.

tldzyx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

maybe, I use linux vm without desktop, and the console not friendly, I like use xshell in ssh to control linux vm, it's easy copy command from browser in window, and then paste it in xshell send to linux 🙂

only the ssh service broken or network broken etc. I will use console to fix it(or just use snapshot recovery)

0 Kudos
Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moreover we have big problems with USB on windows guests. the systemd unit files for linux are gone, thus the vmware modules are not there including vmware-usbabitrator. workstation 16.1.1 is junk, at least for now ...

0 Kudos
hwienck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have 80 License and our Process Engineers use it for programming/developing Control Systems for ChemicalPlants.

The "Shared VM" is a good feature, that they can help to each other during Remote-Working (HomeOffice, Plant-Commissioning,start automatically PC Reboot,...).

In Workstation Pro 16 for Windows it works also fine.
If VMware remove the "Shared VMs" in Version 17, i will find another Solution without Vmware.

Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We use vmware shared vms for testing purposes for diagnostic systems in the automotive industry since approx 7 years.

We are now testing proxmox VE https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve which offers KVM-based virtualisation (which is OK for the windows vms we are using here). And it has the advantage that we can mix (linux-based) containers and fuill VMs für linux and Windows and only pay for "real" support issues, not for general software licenses where you have no real control about the quality behind.

Infra3600
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Given your recent separation from DELL, will the Shared VM feature be restored?

taulatin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Only separation of "effective management" of this company save the situation 🙂

BillMackintosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please bring back / re-enable shared VM's in 16.2.x

I'm sticking with 16.1.x (for now at least) because of this monumental error on VMWare's part to remove the ability to connect to a VM physically hosted on another device.

ozsmacd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was hoping over the past 12 months that this decision would be reversed.  

My final rant, this is a ridiculous decision that is only justified with an internal VMware company view, namely the amount of effort required to address core code issues that have been allowed to grow more and more rotten over time.

For me, this marks the exit from using VMWare technology for virtualisation after using it from the very very early days and paying for VMware Workstation and Fusion licenses for multiple machines over the years.

Looking forward, it turns out for me a slight re-think of my approach and HyperV turns out to be a far better solution anyhow from a windows stand-point.  This experience has left me questioning the future of the workstation virtualisation products from VMware, so for my Mac environments I will be moving to Parallels during the next upgrade cycle, they appear to move faster and have far more respect for their users.

My hope is that for those remaining with VMware, that the product management team and management of the newly separated company, might re-look at decisions like the removal of auto-start/shared VMs with new eyes and do the right thing by users who use such features extensively.

Finally, thanks to VMware for the last decade plus of stability on some key infrastructure in my personal and professional life.

Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just for info: our company just moved from VMware to Proxmox completely for two Test environment installations. The removal of functionality by VMWare Inc and lack of proper support for the linux platform were reasons for that.

Bye, Thommie

Anoliss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Been using VMware for years (since 2004 actually), this is by far the most ridiculous engineering/marketing decision I have ever faced from a solid product I use every day, I've been silently dealing with it since you guys decided on this great idea.

Looking into Proxmox or Hyper-V for future permanent replacement which is unfortunate, I really like VMware WS and this is just silly and stupid. As a software engineer I use these features just about every day and it is unrealistic for me to spin up an entire ESXi server (which I would run in a VM anyways so wtf?)

Sorry guys but whoever made this decision really dropped the ball, they should be fired. I hope they read this.

Tags (1)
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see that VMware Workstation 17 Pro has auto-start VMs functionality back.

0 Kudos