VMware Communities
Thompst
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Folders on Vista Guest not working.

I know there are similar topics on this but as yet cannot find an answer.

I am running VMware Workstation 6.0.0 build 45731

My host OS is Windows Vista Ultimate on a HP NC6400 with 4gb RAM

My guest OS is Windows Vista Business

My internal NIC is not bridged to the Guest.

I have a Dlink USB NIC with only has the VMware Bridge Protocol enabled and is bridged to the guest. This is the only NIC enabled for the guest.

Shared Folders were working briefly but now are not.

I did add the machine to the domain but am not sure if this coincided with when they stopped working.

Are there any Vista specific settings I need to enable? i.e. Network and File sharing? I have tried various combinations of settings with no success.

I have tried uninstalling VMware tools and reinstalling as suggested in some threads, I have also ensured that the HGFS service is running and is set to be first in the network providers.

I do not want to enable VMNET1 and use standard windows shares as I would like to have an air gapped machine as far as possible.

Any assistance welcome

Kind regards

Tim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

I have a Dlink USB NIC with only has the VMware Bridge Protocol enabled and is bridged to the guest. This is the only NIC enabled for the guest.

Hi Tim,

With Bridged you can map a network drive between the host and guest.

Does Shared Folders work with any VM or is it just one VM that is not working?

Does the .vmx file contain

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
Thompst
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin,

I set up an XP guest today (with no NICS installed in the guest) and Shared Folders works.

The .vmx file for both guests contains

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"

Tim

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware shared folder feature does not use networking nor does it require a virtual network adapter

0 Kudos
Thompst
Contributor
Contributor

I realise that Kevin, I was just making the point that I had not installed any Nics in the XP guest.

The reason I have a Nic enabled in my Vista guest is to allow a connection to a seperate network. i.e. My host is connected via ADSL to the internet and the guest is connected to my local LAN.

I am no nearer to finding an answer as to why the sharing folders do not work in my Vista guest.

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post the contents of the .vmx file from the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Thompst
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin,

I am using the XP guest at present as I needed to get on with the testing.

I have deleted my Vista guest but will reinstall a fresh one this week and document the steps and record if and when shared folders work.

I have added the XP guest to my AD domian and all is still well.

Kind regards

Tim

0 Kudos