VMware Communities
Xarzu
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Folder bedtween Windows 10 Host and Ubuntu 22.04 Virtual Machine using VMware is not there.

This is the second virtual machine I have started setting up on VMware.  I wonder if this has something to do with my issue.  Are shareed folders only valid for the first Virtual Machine I set up?  Or if the firt machine I set up is shut down or having issues, does that mean that the shared folder system won't work for additional virtual machines I add?

I set up the shared folders from VMware by clicking on Settings --> Options --> Shared Folders -->Always enabled and then I click Add and i go through the wizard dialog box to add a shared folder.  This worked with the previous virtual machine I had set up.  And, as I remember the location of the shared folder on the VM would be in the Computer/mnt/hgfs folder.  But it is not there.  Any ideas? 

Xarzu_1-1652373030821.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is a known issue since a while.

See also: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/11.3/rn/VMware-Tools-1130-Release-Notes.html

excerpt:

VMware Tools Issues in VMware Workstation or Fusion

Shared Folders mount is unavailable on Linux VM. If the Shared Folders feature is enabled on a Linux VM while it is powered off, the shared folders mount is not available on restart.

Note: This issue is applicable to VMware Tools running on Workstation and Fusion.

Workaround:

If the VM is powered on, disable and enable the Shared Folders feature from the interface. For resolving the issue permanently, edit /etc/fstab and add an entry to mount the Shared Folders automatically on boot.

For example, add the line:

vmhgfs-fuse   /mnt/hgfs    fuse    defaults,allow_other    0    0

Before you do that, you might want to check that things are setup correctly. Try running the following:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/hgfs/
sudo /usr/bin/vmhgfs-fuse .host:/ /mnt/hgfs/ -o subtype=vmhgfs-fuse,allow_other

also see:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74650

Good luck!

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Xarzu
Contributor
Contributor

fstab is read-only.  I will have to find a way to change permissions on the file.

It is this or maybe the directory is read only.

Xarzu_0-1652378156044.png

So I am thinking of going to /etc/ and typing

chmod +rwx fstab

Here is what I tried

Xarzu_1-1652379346965.png

I closed and reopend fstab in gedit but it is displayed as [Read Only]

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Non-root users can't edit /etc/fstab. Don't change permissions on /etc/fstab, instead drop into a shell (via Terminal) and use sudo to get admin privileges to edit the file:

sudo vi /etc/fstab

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
r01100011
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling and then re-enabling while the VM is running solved the problem for me. Thank you!

0 Kudos