VMware Communities
josmith2020
Contributor
Contributor

Share wireless connection in virtual machine

Hi.

I have a laptop win win 7, I am using Vmware 7. I want to share my wireless connection in vmware.

Pls tell me how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

If you just need simple outbound internet access (i.e.: web browser, email) for your virtual machine, set your networking to NAT. NAT will use whatever networking your host has.

If you need more than simple outbound network access, please post more info as to what your virtual machine will be doing.

0 Kudos
josmith2020
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to use 'Backtrack' Linux' in VM. So I want to use wireless card in VM. I can get Internet connection in Vm but it is always ethernet card. For backtrack Linux wireless card is required. </address>

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...For backtrack Linux wireless card is required. </address>

The virtual machine is always presented with a wired NIC. In general, the virtual machine does NOT have access directly to the physical machine's hardware.

You need to get a USB wireless NIC, which can then be connected "directly" to the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
josmith2020
Contributor
Contributor

What if we tried to share wireless connection with virtual machine? Can't we have wireless adapter in VM?

0 Kudos
vbrozik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation does not emulate wireless adapters.

0 Kudos
junian_dani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I guess you don't follow the previous suggestion. You just need to treat the VM as a NAT client in order to share wired/wireless connection (of your laptop) within a VM. You can define it in the VM configuration setting.

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I guess you don't follow the previous suggestion. You just need to treat the VM as a NAT client in order to share wired/wireless connection (of your laptop) within a VM. You can define it in the VM configuration setting.

The catch is that Wireshark is trying to monitor the traffic seen by a specific NIC. Trying to directly read Wi-Fi, Wireshark needs to "see" the wireless NIC. At best you could bridge to the wireless NIC, but the virtual machine would still only "see" a wired NIC. And from all the posts to these forums about Wireshark, I'm assuming that doesn't work. (I don't use Wireshark so correct me if I'm wrong.)

(edit: sorry, meant to say Backtrack instead of Wireshark.)