VMware Communities
dcube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Share fingerprint reader between Physical Machine and VM

I have a lenovo W541 with build-in fingerprint, how to share it.

PM with W8.1 already use it, how to use it also to login in OS in WM ?

Best regards

Paolo

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NilsSvedmyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Paolo,

I also have a Thinkpad W541 and scratched my head on how to use the built-in fingerprint reader when running e.g. Windows 10 on a VM-machine from my laptop - and then came across this thread.

After comparing the "Device Manager" both on my VM-machine and on the physical laptop I could see that on the VM machine there was no "Biometrical Devices" listed on the VM-machine. I of course also checked the VM hardware setting dialog if there was a possibility to add such a device, but there wasn't.

So I thought I was stuck. But I have found a solution that is sufficient at least for my needs. I noticed that one of the icons on the lower-right side of my running VM-machine (running Windows 10) - there was an icon that was disabled but when hovered with the mouse it read "Validity Sensors Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=0017)".

After right-clicking and selecting "Connect (Disconnect from Host)" there was a new device that showed up in Windows Device Manager "Unknown Device" and when opening that treeviewitem I right-clicked and selected "Install driver" and voila! Now my built-in fingerprint reader can be used when running Windows 10 under my VM workstation!

It is not ideal as it will disable the fingerprint reader on the physical machine's OS as long as the Windows 10 VM machine is running, but I can live with that. And the good part is that Windows(?) is smart enough to automatically re-enable the fingerprint reader on my physical machine as soon as the VM-machine is closed/shut down.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

You cannot share the USB device, it is either connected to your host OS or to one of the guest OS's.

This is a limitation on how USB works, it cannot be connected to two machines at the same time.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
NilsSvedmyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Paolo,

I also have a Thinkpad W541 and scratched my head on how to use the built-in fingerprint reader when running e.g. Windows 10 on a VM-machine from my laptop - and then came across this thread.

After comparing the "Device Manager" both on my VM-machine and on the physical laptop I could see that on the VM machine there was no "Biometrical Devices" listed on the VM-machine. I of course also checked the VM hardware setting dialog if there was a possibility to add such a device, but there wasn't.

So I thought I was stuck. But I have found a solution that is sufficient at least for my needs. I noticed that one of the icons on the lower-right side of my running VM-machine (running Windows 10) - there was an icon that was disabled but when hovered with the mouse it read "Validity Sensors Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=0017)".

After right-clicking and selecting "Connect (Disconnect from Host)" there was a new device that showed up in Windows Device Manager "Unknown Device" and when opening that treeviewitem I right-clicked and selected "Install driver" and voila! Now my built-in fingerprint reader can be used when running Windows 10 under my VM workstation!

It is not ideal as it will disable the fingerprint reader on the physical machine's OS as long as the Windows 10 VM machine is running, but I can live with that. And the good part is that Windows(?) is smart enough to automatically re-enable the fingerprint reader on my physical machine as soon as the VM-machine is closed/shut down.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
dcube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Nils,

thank you for reply.

As you wrote, this solution is not the optimum but it's a good way to use fingerprint.

I hope that vmware will create a "driver" to share fingerprints with physical machine.

Best regards

Paolo

0 Kudos
jibunnokage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware?  Are you listening?  How about a virtual device driver for Windows Hello Fingerprint sensors/scanners?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is a user forum, not a formal channel of communication to the product teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jibunnokage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And yet, after engineering VMware solutions for Fortune 10 companies SINCE 2002... Yes 2002, I know such comments tend to generate buzz and do get to product managers, other customers... and then the development teams!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Okey dokey, good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos