VMware Communities
oneforfunn
Contributor
Contributor

Setup has detected that VMware Workstation is already installed on this machine.

Someone PLEASE help me out. I'm using a Windows 7 desktop. A while back I was having trouble getting logged into my work network and after trying several things I came to the conclusion that it must be my VM causing my problem because before I installed it I could connect to my work network. I uninstalled my VM. Now I'm trying to re-install it and I keep getting this message,

The MSI

'C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1291578903vmware

workstation.msi' failed.

Setup has detected that VMware Workstation is already installed on this machine. Please uninstall this product through the Control Panel and try again.

You cannot remove VMware through the control panel. I have removed everything VM from my machine and I did the following that I found in the threads on here.

Delete the __vmware_user__ local user and the __vmware__ local group from the Windows system if they exist.

Stop the following services on the Windows host:

VMware Authentication Service

VMware Registration Service

VMware DHCP Service

VMware NAT Service

Uninstall the VMware network bridge adapter.

Choose Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections.

Right-click any network adapter icon and choose Properties.

Select VMware Bridge Protocol and click Uninstall.

Uninstall all VMware devices.

Right-click My Computer and choose Manage.

Click Device Manager.

Double-click Network Adapters.

Right-click each adapter whose name begins with VMware and choose Uninstall.

Choose Show hidden devices from the View menu.

Double-click Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

Right-click the following devices and choose Uninstall.

hcmon

VMware Network Application Interface

VMparport

vmx86

VMware Bridge Protocol

I cannot remove the system files as directed in the thread.

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vmnat.exe

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vmnetbridge.exe

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vmnetdhcp.conf

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\VMNetDHCP.exe

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vmnetdhcp.leases

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vmnetnat.conf

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vmxw2ksetup.dll

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vnetprobe.exe

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vnetprobelib.dll

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vnetinst.dll

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vnetlib.dll

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\vnetlib.exe

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmnet.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmnetx.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\VMparport.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmx86.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmnetadapter.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmnetbridge.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmnetuserif.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\hcmon.sys

%SystemDrive%\WINNT\system32\drivers\vmusb.sys

None of these things are working for me, can anyone figure this out? I need this so I can learn how to use VM for work. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums. I have moved your thread to the VMware Workstation forum which should provide you with some better responses to your problem.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

msizap.exe from Microsoft might be your friend here.

Lou

0 Kudos
oneforfunn
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to mention I did that also.

0 Kudos
oneforfunn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for moving it there. I need all of the help I can get. Also I did use msizap as well.

0 Kudos
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think there is an ption that you can specifiy on the installer - I think it's the "/C" switch. It's supposed to perform a "clean" install.

You might want to do a search on the forums for that. That might be the 1st thing to try. Much safer than what I did...

I recently went to upgrade from 6.5.3 to 7.1.3 by first attempting a complete uninstall of 6.5.3. The uninstall hung the machine, and after a reboot, the uninstall was removed from the control panel, but I got the same message as you when I attempted to install 7.1.3.

So, here's what I did. This is not a recommended procedure, you can really mess up your machine, if you're not very careful. I take no responsbility if you mess your machine by hosing the registry.

1) I went into the registry under the HKLM ( "LocalMachine" settings )and deleted almost all keys with "vmware" in it. I did not remove any key that was under the "Classes" subkeys. You also won't be able to delete anything under "Legacy". It is ok to leave them.

2) Reboot machine

3) Delete everything in C:\Program Files\VMWare

4) Reboot

5) Reinstall the ORIGINAL version (in my case 6.5.3)

6) Reboot

7) Uninstall the ORIGINAL version

😎 Reboot

9) Install NEW version (in my case 7.1.3)

All is well, I am typing this from within a VM on that machine.

-Good luck

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some thoughts:

Not sure what exactly msizap.exe does. Some time ago I created a small script (derived from an MS script) which lists the cached MSI file of an installer package.

Option Explicit

If (Wscript.Arguments.Count < 1) Then
	Wscript.Echo "Get MSI Installer Informationen" &_
		vbNewLine & "Options: Productname (e.g. VMware)" & vbNewLine
	Wscript.Quit 1
End If

On Error Resume Next
Dim installer
Set installer = Nothing
Set installer = Wscript.CreateObject("WindowsInstaller.Installer")

Dim product, products , localPackage, productName
On Error Resume Next

Set products = installer.Products
For Each product In products
   productName = installer.ProductInfo(product, "ProductName") 
   if InStr(ucase(productName) , ucase(Wscript.Arguments(0))) > 0 then
 	Wscript.Echo "ProductName: " & productName
 	Wscript.Echo "MSI-Paket  : " & installer.ProductInfo(product, "LocalPackage") & vbNewLine
   end if 
Next

Running it shoud return something like this:

C:\temp>cscript /nologo ReadCachedMSI.vbs "vmware workstation"

ProductName: VMware Workstation

MSI-Paket : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\3f7b04.msi

If so, you may be able to start the uninstall process with:

msiexec /x C:\WINDOWS\Installer\3f7b04.msi

If there is nothing you can find, try to run the VMware Workstation msi package manually.

- extract the files: VMware-workstation-full-7.1.3-324285.exe /e .\extract

- run: msiexec /i "VMware Workstation.msi" /l*v workstation.log

- if the error occurs again, take a look at the msi log file

André

0 Kudos
oneforfunn
Contributor
Contributor

a.p. I have tried all of the steps that you suggested with the same result new reason it can't be installed. It no longer leaves the first message, now it only says that it's "already installed on this machine". MSIZap is Windows Installer cleaner. Thanks for the attempt. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried going into the Add/Remove Programs section of the Registry? If not, try the steps here:

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

already installed = the setup checks for a running process - if it finds vmware.exe , vmpayer.exe or something like that running it displays that message - so do never rename the setup to something other then "buggy.exe" Smiley Wink

I wrote a howto for installing Workstation - please check it out

http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

sometimes it is also necessary to start the setup like this

http://sanbarrow.com/workstation-faq.html#w1

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
oneforfunn
Contributor
Contributor

So I spent two hours on the phone with a tech at VMware and we changed some things and tried the install again. Error 1402 popped up and I was then referred to MS support. I used their tools to straighten up any problems I may have had from their end and now I get this: Unkown\Componets\2A31EAB9FA7E3C6D0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Ideas anyone? Vm had me change the permissions in regedit so I don't think access should be a problem. THANKS to all of you who are, have tried to help me out with this.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you already asked VMware support on this ?

I guess they had no idea about this ? Smiley Wink

Setting registry permissions is not enough.

make a backup of the file %systemroot%\system32\config\COMPONENTS

open a cmd as admin - start regedit - navigate to HKLM and then click file > load hive

Browse to the file ...system32\config\COMPONENTS and load that hive as "COMPONENTS" - without quotes.

Then adjust permissions for that hive so that admin and system have full access.

Then try the setup again - but first make sure that you follow all - and in this case I really mean ALL tips from my howto

http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

Hope that is enough .... Smiley Sad

I came across that type of problems when I made a ripped installer for Workstation 7.0 for Windows 7 64bit

and if we have to go into details it can become a nightmare.

If this does not help - and you are still interested - we have to find other ways to continue - doing this type of work via forum will take weeks

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
porrascarlos80
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed!

how , well

1. start, run , regedit.

2. export current registry , made a backup

3. search for "vmware" , removed all the keys with this name on it, all of them, not even the one with extension, all removed.

4. deleted the folder vmware from program files, you may need to reboot twice to get rid of it.

5. start , run , cmd , type " MSIZAP G " , it showed to me a problem with a specific key on the registry , copied, searched the registry using REGEDIT deleted the key. ran the command again, and this time it did clear the windows installer cache, error removed.

6. Deleted the shortcuts from my desktop, rebooted.

7. do not install yet, check add / remove programs, or programs and features(windows 7) , make sure vmware xxxxxxx is not listed, if it is, search for a tool , to uninstall applications o remove applications from that list.

8 try to install.

Good luck!

I used Total_Uninstall_Pro_v5.7.0_Multilenguaje at the beginning but did not work, had to follow steps 1 - 8 to fixed.

0 Kudos