VMware Communities
Thomas_M1
Contributor
Contributor

Setup Unable to Find Hard Drive

VMWare Workstation 7.0 build-203739

I have created a Windows XP virtual machine for testing purposes. I have now created a new installation ISO that I would like to test. The virtual machine includes a CD/DVD drive that uses an ISO. I pointed that CD/DVD drive to the new ISO and made sure that the drive is at the top of the boot order in the BIOS. When I boot the machine it goes into the Windows XP installation, but then I get the error shown below.

9865_9865.jpg

I have found a couple of Web sites which imply that this may be a problem with not having the correct drivers installed. I see this as a possibility because I created the ISO on a machine with SATA drives, but I'm testing it on a machine with IDE drives. My virtual machine has two CD/DVD drives, both configured as IDE, where one uses a physical CD/DVD drive (IDE 1:0) and the other uses the ISO (IDE 0:0).

Is there a setting in VMware that I need to configure in order to make this work?

Is there a way to load the IDE drivers into the ISO so that it will work on the machine where the testing is being done?

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.

Most likely the XP image is missing the drivers for the virtual disk controller used.

Try to give the virtual machine the LSI Logic SCSI controller. You can choose that when you create the gust using the custom option.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I guess you configured the VM to use a SCSI-disk which will not work.

Make sure you assign an IDE-disk and it should use ide0:0

use ide1:0 for the first CD and ide1:1 for the second CD

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos