VMware Communities
Blakeis1
Contributor
Contributor

Setting up XP Pro64 Networking

I am studying for my A+ certification and have installed VMWare Server 2.02  on my desktop to practice multiple Windows and Linux operating systems. I installed Windows 98SE, Windows NT Desktop - which I upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional.  All instances have automatically installed a network driver and can access the Internet.  My XP Pro will not install a driver, even from the motherboard install disk with XP drivers built for it. The early OSs are using the AMD PCNET driver from Windows\System32\Drivers\PCNTN5M.SYS.  I would have thought that XP Pro would have no problems with finding a driver from it's own database, but it isn't the case.

Any ideas on this?  Do you need any more information that would make the problem clearer?  Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

XP 32 works with the AMD PCnet32 aka "vlance" - for XP 64 you need the Intel E1000

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

0 Kudos
Blakeis1
Contributor
Contributor

I tried adding this to the “configure VM” for my xp pro machine under the advanced taps for configuration parameters. I’m a noob and this looked like the place to put it. When I exited and went back in, the parameters did not save. Am I on the right track, or is this another driver I should be downloading from the Web?

Thank you for your help, and patience.

Blake

0 Kudos
Blakeis1
Contributor
Contributor

Upon reviewing my Network Adapter 1 on my xp machine, the virtual device is reading e1000, but it’s still not connecting.

Blake

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you attach the full vmware.log please ?

0 Kudos
Blakeis1
Contributor
Contributor

I’m sorry... I have no idea where the VMWare.log is. Please advise and I will attach it for you.

Blake

0 Kudos
Blakeis1
Contributor
Contributor

I changed my xp pro64 to xp pro32 and reconfigured my network adapter in my hardware devices. I restarted my xp and it found the network, so it was bad user error on my part. I installed a 32-bit OS, not a 64-bit OS. Thank you for your help and consideration, and your time.

Blake

0 Kudos