VMware Communities
sheenlim08
Contributor
Contributor

Setting Hard Disk as Space in Guest VM

Hello,

I am running on a lab environment.

Is there anyway in Vmware Workstation Pro 12 that I can create a somewhat virtual memory and attached it to a workstation? I am running low and memory and want to test out something on my guest.

If no, how can i get around this? Performance is not important for me in this case as this is a test/lab environment.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sorry, no you can't.

The maximum amount of RAM that you can assign to a virtual machine is limited by the amount of RAM installed in your host.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Wil
> The maximum amount of RAM that you can assign to a virtual machine is limited by the amount of RAM installed in your host.

Is that new in WS 12 ???
All earlier versions allowed heavy over comitting vRAM

Ulli

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ulli,

Oh thanks for correcting me... seems I'm very wrong.

You are correct I can go to 64GB on a 16GB host that has Workstation 12 installed.

Looking at my Fusion 7 (and Fusion 😎 however on a macbook pro it does limit to max memory.

Down there you also get an error that not enough physical memory is available to power on a VM if you assign too much memory.

Guess that's where my confusion came from.

So on my 16GB windows host I assigned 32GB memory to an ubuntu test VM and got the same error.

As I'm aware of some memory settings in the preferences, I went to menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Memory and changed the setting from "Allow some..." to "Allow most virtual memory to be swapped"

pastedImage_0.png

After that change I can indeed power on that test VM

and when looked at it from within the ubuntu 64bits test VM then it does indeed think it has 32 GB memory available.

Thanks for correcting me Smiley Happy learned something new.

PS: those settings are not available in Fusion, but IIRC you can actually add them via handediting some config files.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos