VMware Communities
nh_duma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty

Has anyone encountered this issue while running VMware 6.0.4 workstation? I am in the process of troubleshooting this issue but I though I'd ask in parallel

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Srv

Event Category: None

Event ID: 2020

Date: 9/2/2008

Time: 10:54:43 AM

User: N/A

Computer: QAVM6412

Description:

The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.

0008: 00 00 00 00 e4 07 00 c0 ....ä..À

0010: 00 00 00 00 9a 00 00 c0 ....?..À

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0028: 02 00 00 00 ....

I am getting quite a number of instances of the following error after I run a VMware session for an hour or more. My VMware sessions consist of running 5 or 6 simultaneous instances of VMware 6.0.4 workstation (their application contents are co-dependent).

Thanks,

nh.duma

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't have the answer for you, but am curious if you are running Symantec Anti Virus on the Host machine? If so, which version?

0 Kudos
nh_duma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition version 8x.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The reason I asked is that I am seeing the same error on a physical Exchange server. I haven't figured out exactly what the cause of the error is yet, but since it takes almost two months for the error to show up after a reboot troubleshooting is a slow process for me. My hunch is that my problem is related to SAV, but I don't have any hard facts yet. I am running SAV 10.1.4.4000 on the physical server.

Since your issue is reproducible after just a few hours, I am curious if you would be able to temporarily uninstall SAV and see if that makes the error go away on your system?

0 Kudos
nh_duma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scissor: Perhaps this link may help you?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thank you for that link. It looks like the KB article may also be applicable to your issue too!

0 Kudos
nh_duma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it is the one I am using to troubleshoot my issue.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

nh.duma,

Any luck with figuring out the cause of your error?

0 Kudos
nh_duma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scissor: I think my issues are being triggered by KB839499 given that each occurrence is accompanied by many instances dialogs titled "Application Popup" along with event log errors. I do not have access to the domain controller to experiment with recommended changes but I have noticed that the changes I made to my computer, as recommended by KB312362, combined with rebooting my computer before I start my workday have improved my situation significantly.

Thanks,

nh.duma.

0 Kudos
nh_duma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issues went away after I removed the /3Gb switch from the boot.ini on the host system.

0 Kudos