VMware Communities
JTAtkins
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2022 - Unsupported Processor

Anyone able to install Server 2022 on Workstation Pro?  Tried multiple versions of ISO from MSDN (x64).  It starts the installation process.  Copies files, reboots, and then a BSOD with Unsupported Processor.  No problems with 2019 or below.

9 Replies
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Absolutely no problem with installing and running Win Svr 2022, the iso I use was from Microsoft's main public eval site.  It may be helpful for you to provide a tad more information.

In the meantime, might I suggest that you try to setup the VM but without linking it to the iso, to start with. 

In other words, select 'I will install the operating system later', then select the Guest OS from the pulldown menu page, allocate the appropriate number of processors and memory, and complete the setup.  Once that is done, then go back into the VMs virtual machine Devices settings, select 'CD/DVD (SATA)' and from the 'Use ISO image file' select the Win Svr 2022 iso.  Start the VM and see what happens.

0 Kudos
KeithMorrell
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed this issue, but for a different reason - I had a working Windows 2022 server VM (build 21h?) I build some time back and it booted up fine...I just ran a windows update today (Nov 4th, 22) and now it comes up with the unsupported processor message, so it seems "later" versions of Server 2022 introduce this error.

s_cutter
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Same issue here.  The workaround is to reduce the number of CPU & cores to 1.  It will then boot.

Not sure if this is a VMWare compatability issue, or a bug with recent Windows Server 2022 updates, but hope it gets resolved soon!

SchulerGuy
Contributor
Contributor

It does not only affect Windows Server, but also Windows 10 and 11. Apparently, it is due to a change from Microsoft regarding Hyper-V, which was distributed with one of the recent updates. Funnily enough, our VMs are still running on most machines (all identical!) and only a few users are affected.

0 Kudos
StatoZ
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problems on a 2019 server. 
To solve it i have just turn the number of processor and the number of cores per proc to 1. 

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@StatoZ wrote:

I have the same problems on a 2019 server. 
To solve it i have just turn the number of processor and the number of cores per proc to 1. 

Or update to Workstation 16.2.5, which claims to have fixed this issue (and several users have posted that for them it does).

moshe3450
Contributor
Contributor

That worked for me

0 Kudos
MG42
Contributor
Contributor

Same Problem with VMWare Workstation 17.0.2 and Windows Server 2022 as VM-Guest (Windows 11 as host/VMWare workstation installed).

Yes, reducing of 1 Processor makes the VM still alive - but i need more Performance for it.

Any idea, how to solve finally the problem?

Thank's for your effort.

0 Kudos