VMware Communities
madmax14304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Server 2008 32-bit Enterprise Over 4GB Ram & VMWare Workstation

I recently upgraded my Server 2008 32-bit Enterprise Edition from 4GB to 8GB. This edition supports more than 4GB and all is detected on the host. However, after upgrading the "Reverved Memory" slider in VMWare Workstation still shows a Maximum of 1843MB like before I upgraded. Can anybody offer any tips to get all of my ram working with VMWare?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jschellhaass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue has to do with address space, although you have more then 4 G of ram you are still limited to the maximum 4 G of address space for any one process. Under 32 bit windows the space is normally split into 2 G for the user process and 2 G reservered for the kernel. On windows 2008 this can be increased to 3 G for the user space using BCDEdit /set increaseuserva 3072.

http://blogs.technet.com/brad_rutkowski/archive/2006/10/03/Hey-where-did-_2F00_3GB-go-in-Longhorn-an...

Jeff

0 Kudos
madmax14304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I ran the command but it did not increase the maximum memory on the slider in VMWare. I know the BCDEdit command took because when I run just BCDEdit, it comes back with the correct boot parameters. I think at this point I'm just going to have to break down and install a 64-bit OS otherwise all of this memory will go unused. Thanks

0 Kudos