VMware Communities
kevincarothers
Contributor
Contributor

Segmentation fault

Hello!

I get VMWare workstation pro 15.5.5 for linux through my school, it comes in the form of a .bundle file. I'm running the latest arco linux (uname -r = 5.15.12-arch1-1) and ran the installer through the terminal. it seemed to install just fine. I've ran this same installer on several debian installs with no issues. This time, when I run it from the wisker menu it never appears. Task manager shows that something runs for a second and stops. running from the terminal with and with out sudo yields an error:

/usr/bin/vmware: line 105: 10160 Segmentation fault (core dumped) "$BINDIR"/vmware-modconfig --appname="VMware Workstation" --icon="vmware-workstation"

Each time the number '10160' is different and some searching on the error has yielded no results. running vmware player results in the same error. I did find a thread that suggested something about the installer being bugged and to check out /etc/vmware/config permissions. Mine look like:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1055 Jan 7 03:45 config

i just gave config full permissions just for fun with chmod 777 and that still yields that same error.

any help would be apprieated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kevincarothers
Contributor
Contributor

Well I haven't solved the issue completely but a work around involves feeding the config file to it.

vmware -t /etc/vmware/config

mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you noticed the "Related topics" box below? First link in it leads to an older discussion (not the only one, sadly) where exactly this issue was reported and which has a link to another older discussion with both explanation and suggested workarounds.

0 Kudos