VMware Communities
unhipster
Contributor
Contributor

Seeking patch for VMware Workstation Pro 10 on Ubuntu 15.10; kernel 4.2

Similar to other users, I am seeking a patch for the kernel modules for VMware Workstation 10 (10.0.6, specifically).

Note, I tried to apply the patch for VMware 11, available from this discussion: Re: Vmware Workstation 11: Кernel modules for linux 4.2-rc5+

However, unsurprisingly, I get a core dump when I try to run VMware 10 with the following message (or something similar):

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

*** Error in `/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware': free(): invalid pointer: 0x000055f1009e4350 ***

Aborted (core dumped)

To apply the patch, what I did was extract the tarbal that was attached to that discussion, and replace the existing /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source with the copy in the tarbal (making a backup of the original /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source directory).

As a second attempt, I successively applied patches from this site: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vmware-patch/, but am getting the same invalid pointer error that I was getting previously, i.e.

$ cd ~/Downloads/vmwarePatches

$ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/vmware-patch.git

$ sudo -s

$ cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

$ cp vmnet.tar vmnet.orig.tar

$ tar -xf vmnet.tar

$ patch -p0 -i ~/Downloads/vmwarePatches/vmware-patch/vmnet-10.0.6-3.17.patch

$ patch -p0 -i ~/Downloads/vmwarePatches/vmware-patch/vmnet-11.1.0-3.19.patch

$ patch -p0 -i ~/Downloads/vmwarePatches/vmware-patch/vmnet-11.1.2-4.2.patch

$ tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only

$ rm -r *-only

$ vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

After all that, still get the invalid pointer error, unfortunately.   

Is there a patch available for VMware Workstation 10? I know that VMware WS 12 is supposed to work under Ubuntu 15.10 and kernel-4.2, but it is frustrating to have to upgrade our VMware licenses every couple of years when Ubuntu releases an upgrade.

0 Kudos
0 Replies