VMware Communities
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scripting help needed!

Hi:

This is slightly off-topic but does relate to the current state of WS installations  on Linux.

While WS will not yet install on Ubuntu Natty kernel 2.6.38  (Virtual box will).  WS 7.1.3 will work when I boot to kernel 2.6.37 where I installed it using the patch made available by programmers here.  I would like to change the GRUB2 menu so I can boot directly  (not tabbing down to "Other Ubuntu versiobns".  Supposedly you should be able to design a simple script to do this but I     don't know how.  I'd appreciate any help in dealing with GRUB2  or pointers to links.  I would be nice to be able to change the wording of the menu to boot ot Vmware Worksatiobn - I can figure out the kernel myself by using uname -r... Perhaps I shoujld just install GRUB legacy and remove GRUB2 - don't know if Ubuntu will like that though.  bugs  me that all other major distros (Fedora and openSUSE) use "GRUB legaacy".  Its nice to able to rant at Ubuntu developers rather than VMware!

Thanks

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I really do not see this as a VMware issue in any respect and not to have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, there already are plenty of tutorials and information about customizing/editing the GRUB2 menu available on the Internet so I'd Google something to the effect of edit GRUB2 menu and I'm sure. (because that's how I found out how to do it), you'll find the information on how to accomplish what you're asking.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did say thta itsit was somewhat off-topic and won't pursue it any longer. Case closed

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did say thta itsit was somewhat off-topic

Yes you did however the reason I made the statement the way I did is because I what you as well as other reading this to understand that even though this isn't a VMware issue and it's not that it can't be discussed here, it can to some degree, however it's that this particular issue has already been covered exhaustively on the Internet and a simple Google search using the phrase I suggested yields many sources not only just in writing but videos too covering the subject and in cases such as this it is absoutly ridiculous to start yet another thead on the topic unless you have explisit and specific issues surounding the topic and give reference to the source material, what you've tried, what's not working, etc., etc.

Hence my comment "and not to have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak".  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos