VMware Communities
Dumby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Screen resolution of VMware WS 12.5.2 guest on MSI GE72VR and Windows 10 Pro 64.

Hello,

I've installed VMware 12.5.2 on my new laptop MSI GE72VR 6RF-294XTN Apache Pro (i7-6700HQ - GTX 1080 - 8 Gb. DDR4 - SSD PCIE2 256 Gb. - SSD SATA3 2 Tb. - 17.3 FHD - Windows 10 Pro 64).

When I try to make my Linux guest to enter in full screen, the original screen resolution of the guest (1280x800) isn't set to the resolution of the host (1920 x 1080)!

The guest screen setting are set with 3D acceleration enabled, use host setting for monitor and 1 Gb. of graphic memory and the Windows 10 Pro 64 host screen resolution is the native 1920x1080.

What should I do to make it work again (this worked perfectly with previous VMware Workstation releases)?

Thanks In Advance.

Prior to send the arrow of thruth, plunge the head in the honey pot.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Workstation. Could you try to reinstall your VMware Tools? Thanks.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have a couple of Linux VM's that do that. I open a terminal session and run vmware-user. On one of them, I have to do it twice... it takes a few seconds to go full screen.

Lou

0 Kudos
Dumby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tonyw23 and louyo,

Thanks for your responses.

However,I found and solved the problem: :smileycool:

Since few releases, when installing the VMware Tools, it's recommanded to install the Open-VM tools from the distribution repositories! :smileyblush:

So, that's what I did... and that's why I got the problem.:smileydevil:

Then, I just uninstalled these crippled code and installed the real VMware Tolls from the virtual CD, did the usual vmware-user command and all was corrected! :smileygrin:

So, why VMware promotes such a dumb solution when its own works perfectly? :smileyconfused:

Happy new year.

Prior to send the arrow of thruth, plunge the head in the honey pot.
0 Kudos