VMware Communities
gchamby
Contributor
Contributor

STOP 0x0000007B Inaccessible boot device after converting Dell server

Greetings all. I recently converted a Windows 2000 enterprise server (SP4) running Exchange 2000. The hardware is a Dell 1850 with a PERC raid controller. By the way, I used the Leostream P2V wizard which works great and is not very expensive. However, the resulting VM crashes upon loading with the above error. I know the P2V wizard loaded the buslogic driver from the target windows 2000 server becaused the wizard asked me where to find the driver. I don't see any place in the Workstation 5.5 properties to change the type of SCSI disk? Also, the boot.ini is pointing to part. 2 which is correct. There are several MS KB articles mentioning troubleshooting these STOP errors and I tried to remove the reference to Dell's AFAMGT filter driver (using the ERD Commander boot CD) but that didn't seem to work either.

Anybody happen to run into a similar problem? Anything anyone can offer to keep me from banging my head for another day would be very welcome.

(I do have the vmware.log which seems to show a scsi sense/cmd error as the last entry when the VM tries to boot.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Backup your old server using ntbackup and preserve system state.

Create new Windows server on VM with a controller that you like. Restore server from a backup.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If you are correct about the Bus Logic driver being loaded then it's most likely that the VM is configured for LSI Logic.

Can you post the .vmx file to confirm how the VM is configured

0 Kudos
gchamby
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Here is the .vmx file created by the Leostream P2V wizard

\----

config.version = "7"

virtualHW.version = "3"

guestOS = "win2000pro"

uuid.location = "56 4d 8b f5 11 9e 41 43-56 73 a0 42 d7 3d e8 a6"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 8b f5 11 9e 41 43-56 73 a0 42 d7 3d e8 a6"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

ide0:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

scsi0:0.mode = "persistent"

scsi0:0.fileName = "IT-DC02-SRV-2.vmdk"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

displayName = "IT-DC02-SRV-2"

memsize = "512"

tools.remindInstall = "false"

hints.hideAll = "true"

msg.noOK = "true"

msg.autoAnswer = "true"

serial0.pipe.endPoint = "client"

serial0.tryNoRxLoss = "TRUE"

serial0.yieldOnMsrRead = "TRUE"

draw = "gdi"

serial0.present = "FALSE"

serial0.fileType = "pipe"

serial0.fileName = "
.\pipe\2BC19382EC5D41AEB886D84B94335F16"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

ide0:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:3d:e8:a6"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

redoLogDir = "."

floppy0.fileType = "file"

floppy0.fileName = "C:\vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp"

\----

Also, in the vmware.log file I see references to Buslogic but nothing relating to LSI. There is the following suspicious looking entry:

->Jun 13 15:30:20: vcpu-0| SCSI DEVICE (scsi0:0): MODE SENSE(6) for unsupported page 0x1c

This may be nothing but \*something's* killing Win2K shortly after the boot process starts. I can get to it from ERD commander without a problem loading the vmscsi.sys driver.

Anyway to get the vmscsi.sys into the Win2K device table in place of buslogic from ERD commander? Also, is it even possible to change the existing disk type from SCSI to IDE to see what happens?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Also, is it even possible to change the existing disk type from SCSI to IDE to see what happens?

Sure - post "IT-DC02-SRV-2.vmdk"

scsi0.virtualDev is not set so very likely the VM uses "buslogic"

Erdcommander should have no problem with vmscsi/buslogic

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>very likely the VM uses "buslogic"

Yes, it does, because virtual Hardware version 3 does not understand the LSILogic SCSI adapter. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, it does, because virtual Hardware version 3 does not understand the LSILogic SCSI adapter.

Virtual Hardware version 3 does[/b] understand the LSILogic SCSI adapter.

This is the virtual hardware version we used with GSX 3.x and it supported LSI Logic SCSI controller

Message was edited by:

KevinG

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, it does, because virtual Hardware version 3

does not understand the LSILogic SCSI adapter.

Virtual Hardware version 3 does[/b] understand the

LSILogic SCSI adapter.

This is the virtual hardware version we used with GSX

and it supported LSI Logic SCSI controller

Really? OK... learn something new every day. Odd, though, as version 3 SCSI disks only identify themselves as buslogic... (At least the ones created with the vielib object library - there is no lsilogic, and if you ask for scsi, the embedded disk descriptor has the dbb.adapterType = buslogic line in it. That's what led me to believe that version 3 hardware did not understand/support the LSILogic adapter).

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You are right that the customer is using Bus Logic since scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic" is missing from the .vmx file and this implies that it is using Bus Logic, since that is the default type for the scsi controller.

It's just not because of the virtual hardware was my point.

I remember virtual hardware version 3 does knows about LSI Logic, just don't remember if virtual hardware version 2 or < was LSI Logic aware.

0 Kudos
gchamby
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all. A bit more info if anyone is interested.

I did try several things: I created a new VM, told it the disk was IDE and then attempted to point it to my existing .vmdk. No good as the system reports that the disk image is using SCSI geometry and cannot be used as IDE.

I then tried a new VM using an LSI SCSI adapter and pointed it to the existing .vmdk. The system warned me that this disk had been created using Buslogic but said I could "convert" it to be LSI. So I tried that but the system still gives the STOP 0x...7B blue screen when booted.

I then re-ran the conversion moving only the C: partition. The resulting VM did boot but complained that the SOFTWARE registry hive was corrupt. ERD Commander fixed this (with a warning tha data may have been lost) and the system booted up however it would not start directory services so again the resulting VM is not useful.

I'm now wondering if this source server has existing disk/filesystem issues and therefore the sector by sector copy done by Leostream is reproducing problems on the VM? I'm wondering if a file level copy might be more successful?

This is a production Exchange box and I do not want to take it down in order to create the VM so its certainly the case that the system is being used during the conversion process. However, since my goal was just to create a lab instance of this machine I wasn't too worried about that.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
dsargent
Contributor
Contributor

Backup your old server using ntbackup and preserve

system state.

Create new Windows server on VM with a controller

that you like. Restore server from a backup.

Peter, it seems no one responded to your idea, have you tested this with back up exec? My thought was, since the server i am trying to go p2v with, that has this same issue, is backed up overnight, can i, do as you say, create my new win2k server from inside the vi client, install my back up exec client and do a full restore with system state? Your thoughts please.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

As I have said, I did it with NTBACKUP. I have no experience using 'back up exec'. Results were very good. It fixed some weird Adaptec RAID controller issues that I could not fixed by any other means.

0 Kudos
dsargent
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, i will let you know how it goes...

0 Kudos
dsargent
Contributor
Contributor

Found my issue, i had done a test hot conversion with a microsoft virtual machine on my laptop running win2k3serverR2 using VMware converter. But this did not work on my physical dell running win2k server. I have v3.0.1 on my ESX server and was using v3.0.0 of converter. It seems the two do not play nice with win2k server systems. When I done the conversion it said it failed. I had checked the box to install the vmware tools. I figured i may as well try and push the tools from the converter and see what happens. it worked. it looks exactly like the physical system. seems a little unorthodox, still have some testing to do...... hope this helps some others.

0 Kudos
mferreira1
Contributor
Contributor

I also had this problem converting a Windows 2003 server, Dell PowerEdge 2800. Stop 7B. I successfully recovered it by using the Converter Standalone using the "Configure Machine" option! So easy...

Regards,

Marcus Ferreira

0 Kudos