VMware Communities
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[SOLVED] Workstation Pro 16 and "linux"

I have been running Kubuntu 20.04, and Workstation 16 Pro was working properly.  I have now upgraded to K 22.04. and Workstation will not load.  I have done a fresh install of it.  When I try to run it, I get the usual "need to compile modules" prompt, but it breaks down in the middle with an error message.  There is a log entry with the error message.  I have it, but I cannot read it.  I'm annexing it to this note (with apologies).  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Better yet, has anyone encountered a solution for it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao

I don't know if can help you, but I find another person with a similar problem he has to resolved with this link:

Install VMware Workstation Player on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - Linux Shout (how2shout.com)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks so much, Fabio.  I'll give it a shot first thing in the morning.

0 Kudos
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fabio,

The solution at the site you posted works marvelously with one additional step (which I will try to post at that site).  VMware Workstation Pro 16 apparently will not run under a secure boot system, so the user, after following all the steps that the site recommends, must also disable secure boot in the BIOS.

I am very grateful for your help. 

OTOH, if the "1975" in your id is the year you were born, then you are just a kid, since I am about to be 77.  I shall try not to resent you too much.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

@WTig3ner wrote:

VMware Workstation Pro 16 apparently will not run under a secure boot system, so the user, after following all the steps that the site recommends, must also disable secure boot in the BIOS.

If secure boot is enabled on a Linux host, the vmmon and vmnet modules needs to be signed after these are successfully built/rebuilt.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146460

0 Kudos