VMware Communities
thys1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[SOLVED] BSOD starting Ubuntu

BSOD ntoskrnl.exe

content of VMware log in the VM folder is in the next post

Where do I even begin diagnosing this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok, the log file says your host is running Windows 10 build 19042.685 (released in December 2020)

Which would be a windows insiders preview version.

Yet you are running VMware Workstation 15.5.5 which isn't exactly the latest as that would be either Workstation 15.5.7 or Workstation 16.1.

As 15.5.5 was released in May.. start at least with Workstation 15.5.7 (released in November 2020)

Here's a download link:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1557-WIN&productId=799&rPId=39...

There's a chance that you'll need to go for Workstation 16, but I have also seen problems reported with the latest insiders preview for Workstation 16, so let's take small steps for now to see if we can find the culprit.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
thys1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got BSOD for Windows 10 also.. 

I found the vmware.log for the Ubuntu. 

Posting it here..

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The log has no information about the crash, but I do see one thing that might cause things like this.

Your VM is in a OneDrive folder...

First off, that won't work, OneDrive cannot make a backup of your VM when the VM is running, only when it is shut down.

Secondly the low level synchronisation mechanism used by OneDrive might indeed cause instability.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
thys1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sadly when I put my VMs in a none one drive location it's the same. 

What now? 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok, the log file says your host is running Windows 10 build 19042.685 (released in December 2020)

Which would be a windows insiders preview version.

Yet you are running VMware Workstation 15.5.5 which isn't exactly the latest as that would be either Workstation 15.5.7 or Workstation 16.1.

As 15.5.5 was released in May.. start at least with Workstation 15.5.7 (released in November 2020)

Here's a download link:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1557-WIN&productId=799&rPId=39...

There's a chance that you'll need to go for Workstation 16, but I have also seen problems reported with the latest insiders preview for Workstation 16, so let's take small steps for now to see if we can find the culprit.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
thys1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That solved it. Thank you ! 

0 Kudos
cc5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked for me too. Thank you!

I had tried upgrading to 16 with no luck, the update to 15.5.7 did the trick.

0 Kudos