VMware Communities
JMcWhirter
Contributor
Contributor

SOE inc. terminating VMWare users accounts

SOE Inc. (Everquest, Everquest 2, Planetside, Planetside 2, Free realms, etc.) is terminating users accounts on systems with VMWare products installed.  There has been no official notice of this, however, many users are flocking to the SOE forums asking why their paid service accounts were terminated.  SOE support has asked users whose accounts are reinstated to remove all VMWare products from their systems to continue to use SOE services.

For those who are unfamiliar, SOE is a gaming branch of Sony.  They run multiple online games.  If a user attempts to log into their systems from a machine running VMWare, their accounts are terminated immediately without notice.

I would like to get the word out to users about this issue as well as VMWare staff.

This post has no relation to my work.  It is personal in nature and has no reflection upon my employeer or my employeer's opinions.  I  use VMWare products in a personal nature (VMWare Workstation, Player, ESXI).  I want to make sure that this is noted since my VMUG account is registered under a work related email address.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This actually has already been raised in these forums and VMware is aware of this.

I'm actually surprised that some lawyer hasn't started a class action suite as it seems like it's ripe for one! Smiley Wink

JMcWhirter
Contributor
Contributor

I was unaware.  Im glad others know about it.  I was just bannned yesterday on my gaming accounts (I had them running on my home machine in a vm while my work related items run in a seperate one).  I have done this for years now, so it was unsuspecting to log in Monday fine and become terminated Friday for the same thing.  I couldn't find any info but anecdotals from players.  When I contacted SOE, I got no response other than to wait.

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe interesting for you to read: Re: Sony Online banning accounts for VMware Use

André

Message was edited by: a.p. - fixed link

JMcWhirter
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for the info.  Its good to know VMWare is looking into the issue(s) SOE are having.  I am glad that people are learning about it before being terminated without notice like myself.

Thank you both for your assistance!

0 Kudos